Photos of Chops, Inc. in Aitkin Fish House Parade

On the Friday after Thanksgiving, Chops, Inc. sent a contingent of Top Chops Brassline players up to Aitkin, MN for the annual Fish House parade. Here's some photos from the Brainerd Dispatch to share, and I know that there will be more photos coming from other sources...

1971322.jpg

My lovely wife, Jen, 7 months pregnant and still marching a tuba. With temperatures in the low 30's, at that.

1972037.jpg

Only 9 of us this cold day, but we had a blast! That's me in the "banner suit" so we can be easily identified... Sure, our signature Aloha Jackets and Red Chucks are fairly recognizable around southeastern and central Minnesota, but we're still a little unknown in the hinterlands. They know us now *grin*.

1972592.jpg

Yes, those are Swedish Fish glued onto Maggien's hat. Yes, she spells her name "Maggien" and pronounces it like "Megan".

Here's two more:

01.jpg

The group shot.

02.jpg

Greg Hiniker, "Freebird" soprano soloist from 2005.

My wife's family is from Aitkin. You are all to be commended for getting out there and making air move through frozen pipes! I'm sure the folks up north loved it!

:devil:

My wife's family is from Aitkin. You are all to be commended for getting out there and making air move through frozen pipes! I'm sure the folks up north loved it!

It was a BLAST! I think that a lot of people didn't know how to react... The rest of the parade was a bunch of decorated fish houses being towed down the street, and I'm not sure that anyone expected a marching unit. Chops, Inc... THE UNEXPECTED!

It was a BLAST! I think that a lot of people didn't know how to react... The rest of the parade was a bunch of decorated fish houses being towed down the street, and I'm not sure that anyone expected a marching unit. Chops, Inc... THE UNEXPECTED!

Love it! Anytime you drift down Chicago way, let us know. But then, my wife has family and friends in south and central MN, too. We might find you first!!!

Love it! Anytime you drift down Chicago way, let us know. But then, my wife has family and friends in south and central MN, too. We might find you first!!!

:rolleyes:

We'll definitely be in Morristown, and you might find us having a camp in Waseca. Not horribly "south", but further south than our home here in Minneapolis.

Also, I couldn't help but notice all the Cavaliers references in your signature... The baritone in front on the group shot marched in 2000. He'll be coordinating staff and vis for us this summer.

Hey Matt,

I am generally not a huge fan of the "dress-down" style drum corps, I am more of a regimented, full uniform, military type, BUT this just looks like an ABSOLUTE BLAST!!!

HOW FUN WAS THIS PARADE!!! OMG! Great Pics! Love those Swedish fish!

AWESOME!!!

Looks like a blast!

We'll definitely be in Morristown, and you might find us having a camp in Waseca. Not horribly "south", but further south than our home here in Minneapolis.

Also, I couldn't help but notice all the Cavaliers references in your signature... The baritone in front on the group shot marched in 2000. He'll be coordinating staff and vis for us this summer.

Well, the reason they're there is because I wrote a book about the Cavaliers and drum corps over the last six decades: check it out! It comes out Dec. 1!

And that is HILARIOUS you bring up the baritone player, who also shows up on several Cavaliers' instructional books. What can I say? It's a great shot! What's his name -- something for the trivia files!