Bluecoats' 2008 Show to Glamorize Violence (IMHO)

All this is funny, stupid, random......gotta love DCP!!!

Can't wait for the 2008 season to start though.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bluecoats show is actually a salute to Boxing Day...a British and Canadian holiday! I believe it's the day after Christmas when all of England throws away their boxes...or shops...or something. Oh, the Canadians too.

So, that must be why the iamge on their announcement is of a dumpster filled with empty boxes rather than a boxer with taped hands. :devil:

Yo Marshmellow, I just watched The Shining last night. It's the Kuberick film where a man is posessed by an evil spirit and tries to stab his wife and son to death. Very upsetting and such. The catch is the soundtrack has one "Music for Percussion, Strings and Celeste" by Bela Bartok, and the Star of Indiana played that piece in 93. REDRUMMURDER Your comments on this pressing issue, please. So did Star represent domestic violence well. Did they pull it off?

Unfortunately Star did a poor job at pulling off the violent intent of this music. That's why they ended up in second place. :devil:

Was 93 Cadets based off the Crusades? I read a book recently about the first Crusade in 1099. If I were to describe the unspeakable acts Sir Godfrey's men unleashed upon the citizens of Antioch, and the rest of Syria, I would be in big trouble. I love roasted Turk, I mean Turkey. Now the Suljuk's weren't any better, but we're talking about a youth activity here.

Edited by siuehist

And since my TPS reports are done for the day, here's one more.

1992 Cavaliers - Peterloo Overture

"The Peterloo Massacre of August 16, 1819 was the result of a cavalry charge into the crowd at a public meeting at St Peter's Fields, Manchester, England. It is also called the Manchester Massacre or sometimes the Battle of Peterloo. Eleven people were killed and over 500 were injured."

And for those of you who side with the Cadets...from wikipedia, also:

To Tame the Perilous Skies was commissioned by the 564th Tactical Air Command Band, United States Air Force, located in Virginia, and received its premiere performance in the fall of 1990. Although it leaves the storyline completely to the listener's imagination, "Perilous Skies" was conceived as a programmatic work literally depicting two opposing forces colliding in battle. The elongated canonic introduction presents a six-pitch intervallic display that is used throughout the composition, both as an intact melodic statement and a fragmented germative device, to depict every extra-musical element from serenity to air war to triumphal deliverance. Little did Holsinger realize the prophetic nature of the work, when at the time of its premiere the United Nations forces were assembling in the Persian Gulf; it was only a few months later that the world watched as modern technological air power "tamed the perilous skies" over Iraq and Kuwait. Then, in retrospect, this work is dedicated not only to the exceptional men and women of the Tactical Air Command, but to the spirit of the modern military aviator, taming the perilous skies that all men might live free of tyranny and oppression.

edit: The Tactical Air Command is now the Air Combat Command. In other words, they drop nukes.

Edited by siuehist

See, the problem with your logic Marshamello is that people didn't go crazy over The Cadets announcing(!!!) This I Believe. People were upset over the idea of voiceovers and their potential to cover up the hornline and batterie and so forth. Their indignation didn't stem from the thinking that voiceovers were morally wrong or hurt people, just that it was not the norm. Of course, if the Bluecoats decided to have guard members maul each other and play voiceovers that said, "Hey little kids, get your daddies pistol and shoot your siblings!", then yeah, that might be over the line. But were not defending the Bluecoats because they're the Bluecoats, were defending them because you're an idiot.

I'm not supposed to be leaking this information, but one of the primary visual gestures for the show will involve biting off people's ears.

But were not defending the Bluecoats because they're the Bluecoats, were defending them because you're an idiot.

Incorrect - an idiot is someone who takes this so seriously that even after seeing where this thread was intended to go and have it explained to them is STILL taking it seriously.