OperationTaps Update 12/1/07

Hi Guys,

As I promised, I'll keep you all updated on this project:

Here are JUST A FEW of the questions I received (feel free to visit the site to view the whole FAQ section)...

Q: What the heck IS OperationTaps?

It's an independent project designed to gather and share information on the process of providing Live Taps Buglers for US Military Vets, and how the drum and bugle corps community can become more involved.

The intent is to encourage brass players who haven’t been involved to find a way to do so....another objective of this web site is to highlight and celebrate those who have been doing great work in this area.

Q: Why do this?

I'm a former DCA brass player and instructor who has TAKEN a lot of good things from the drum corps experience, and from the great leaders of the previous generation....

But over the past year or so, I’ve felt guilty about not GIVING enough back.

Once I started looking into what I could do, I found the whole process of volunteering to be a vague, undefined procedure. I just wanted to find a way for more of my colleagues in the drum corps community to help pitch in.

Q: Is this the same as Bugles Across America?

No, it’s a completely independent project…. But, BAA is a great organization that acts as a centralized point of contact for volunteer Taps players, and for those looking for a live Taps player. It is run by the legendary Tom Day (by the way, where's HIS Nobel Peace Prize?) who is also an advisor on this project. OperationTaps encourages individuals to sign up with Bugles Across America. I'm a member and many drum corps staff members and brass players are as well.

Q: Isn’t someone else already taking care of this?

Actually a lot of people are doing their part, but as I’ve looked into this, I’ve found it isn’t enough. For example, one of the leaders of the Monroe County, NY American Legion told me that they have one bugle player, and if he isn’t available, they just use an electronic bugle-like device. If Monroe County (as in Rochester, NY) thinks there is only ONE bugler, then we have a communication problem.

Q: What is the Operation Taps / DCA Challenge?

It is a friendly competition among the brass sections of Drum Corps Associates corps (Competing, Alumni, Mini-Corps, and Brass Ensembles) to quantify their involvement in their respective communities.

The corps are measured on:

- The number of organizations they have contacted to make themselves available to play Taps FREE of CHARGE, (a corps can also earn points for the number of members who are registered with Bugles Across America),

- The number of community or veterans related performances they’ve done, and

- The number of Live Taps performances any member of their group has performed. It could be a current member of their brass line, staff member, alumnus, support staff, or even a community supporter who wants that performance to count for that corps.

All I ask is that the corps members are respectful and professional at all times.

Q: What groups have told you they’ll do this?

Once I launched the site, I heard almost immediately from leaders of 3 of the last 4 DCA champions. Representatives from several other competing corps have told me that they are going to participate once their camps start. Several Alumni Corps, Mini-Corps, and Brass Ensembles are on board.

I have been absolutely amazed and blown away by some of the creativity and energy being put into this project by drum corps people all over the country. I’ll include more on this in a “Thumbs Up” page very soon.

Q: This seems like a great idea. How can I get involved?

If you’re part of a corps, ask your leadership or your brass staff if they are involved with this project. Even if they don’t necessarily want to be a part of this project but are doing great things in their community, let us know about it. This isn’t kind of intense competition that most drum corps people are used; it’s a friendly, casual thing. It would be great if all DCA corps got involved, but it’s completely voluntary. If you’re an individual not involved with a corps, or just a fan, out how you can help in your community.

Many more questions on the site...

I invite you to visit the site.

Tom Allen

www.operationtaps.org

PS - IMHO...DCP is the most important thing to happen to this activity in 40 years.

Edited by OperationTaps

Nice Job Tom!

Thanks Donny. And thanks for getting the ball rolling with St. Joe's and the Ghost Riders.