The Parent's Perspective

I hesitate to add this link because Sara's article is so darn good and I don't want to take a single thing away from its well-deserved attention.

However, Sara's article has helped the cause of at least one prospective marching member, and it seems to me that this thread could provide even more ammunition for drum corps wannabes in similar situations. So here goes:

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=9...4f-2ea1759821fe

I hesitate to add this link because Sara's article is so darn good and I don't want to take a single thing away from its well-deserved attention.

However, Sara's article has helped the cause of at least one prospective marching member, and it seems to me that this thread could provide even more ammunition for drum corps wannabes in similar situations. So here goes:

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=9...4f-2ea1759821fe

Thanks for remembering that. Yes, it's a one-two punch. I'm going to ask if the article you remembered can be linked to the current article.

I too enjoyed Sara's parental perspective and very much agree with her.

During my son's rookie year with Cascades I would volunteer at camps initially helping in the food truck. In short order I found myself rebuilding/reconfiguring the equipment truck (multiple times), building cabinets and other items the Corps would need. My wife also helped in the food truck and helped sew flags. We got to know many of the Corps members who became our extended family many of whom we still communicate with.

As a parent I believe part of your responsibility is to nurture and support those activites that you child has an interest and aptitude for...whether that is sports, music, or whatever. Let their passion become your passion.

As for cost...I think most any type of youth activity comes with a high price these days...whether it's drum corps, dance or gymnastics lessions, sports camps. You have to think of it as an investment. If your child has music education as a potential career I think drum corps is an excellent investment. One of the greatest things to come from participating in drum corps for my son was the networking it created for him in the music education area. Many of the area high schools have band directors who have participated in drum corps or at the minimum realize how valuable corp vets are for their marching band and winter drumline/guard staffs. He has been able to work with high school programs for the past three years while working on his degree. Once he graduates the list of references he will be able to obtain will be quite extensive. Band staffs from most of the local schools interact with each other so everyone knows each other. Given the work experience and the references he should be way ahead of the curve from those graduates who have just done course work and minimal experience working with students. He was recently asked to be on staff with the Oregon Crusaders in both brass and visual captions...which will further his networking into the music ed field. You can't put a price on this...but it's huge.

Seven years ago you could have asked me if I knew what Drum Corps was and I wouldn't have had a clue. Now our lives have revolved around it and it has become a passion for my wife and I just like it has for our son. We have had tremendous experiences the six years he marched meeting members, staff, volunteers, other parents and fans....in places that we might never have traveled. We look forward to many more years supporting Drum Corps and encourage kids who like to march and perform to participate in this wonderful activity.

My parents have been kind of skeptical about drum corps for a while now. My mom doesn't quite understand it, and my dad doesn't think it's worthwhile. I showed both of them this article, and now they're willing to support me as much as possible. Thank you, Sara!

YES!!! Wonderful.

I too enjoyed Sara's parental perspective and very much agree with her.

During my son's rookie year with Cascades I would volunteer at camps initially helping in the food truck. In short order I found myself rebuilding/reconfiguring the equipment truck (multiple times), building cabinets and other items the Corps would need. My wife also helped in the food truck and helped sew flags. We got to know many of the Corps members who became our extended family many of whom we still communicate with.

As a parent I believe part of your responsibility is to nurture and support those activites that you child has an interest and aptitude for...whether that is sports, music, or whatever. Let their passion become your passion.

As for cost...I think most any type of youth activity comes with a high price these days...whether it's drum corps, dance or gymnastics lessions, sports camps. You have to think of it as an investment. If your child has music education as a potential career I think drum corps is an excellent investment. One of the greatest things to come from participating in drum corps for my son was the networking it created for him in the music education area. Many of the area high schools have band directors who have participated in drum corps or at the minimum realize how valuable corp vets are for their marching band and winter drumline/guard staffs. He has been able to work with high school programs for the past three years while working on his degree. Once he graduates the list of references he will be able to obtain will be quite extensive. Band staffs from most of the local schools interact with each other so everyone knows each other. Given the work experience and the references he should be way ahead of the curve from those graduates who have just done course work and minimal experience working with students. He was recently asked to be on staff with the Oregon Crusaders in both brass and visual captions...which will further his networking into the music ed field. You can't put a price on this...but it's huge.

Seven years ago you could have asked me if I knew what Drum Corps was and I wouldn't have had a clue. Now our lives have revolved around it and it has become a passion for my wife and I just like it has for our son. We have had tremendous experiences the six years he marched meeting members, staff, volunteers, other parents and fans....in places that we might never have traveled. We look forward to many more years supporting Drum Corps and encourage kids who like to march and perform to participate in this wonderful activity.

i was composing a similar reply as i was reading the thread but could not have explained or stated it better. that is exactly the way i see the experience for my son. an extension of his education. since participating in corps, without any help or pushing , he enrolled himself in college, got a job and has a defined career path. this makes me extremly proud. it's worth every cent to see him follow his dream.

We've all heard the mumbles and grumbles about all that has changed about drum corps. And they're right, to a certain point. Of course things have changed over the decades. EVERYTHING changes. But articles like Sara's highlight the so many ways that kids today are the same as they ever were: they want something to belong to, to pour their passions into, to learn from, to mold them for life. Just as in the 1940s, '50s, '60s, WHENEVER, when parents get behind that and get *involved* in the activities their kids care about, that's what helps the experience be once-in-a-lifetime life-affirming great.

Drum corps still has that. In spades. And it's because of the many, many parents like Sara. I have tried to illuminate this in my writing about the Cavaliers and in the brick-load of pages devoted to drum corps in my book. Now I have another article to point folks to when they ask about what drum corps is and what it does for kids. I should say what it STILL does for kis. Truly inspiring, Boo. And thank you, Sara!