The Parent's Perspective

The Parent's Perspective

Sara Morgan contributed this Fanfare column that should be read by every parent who has a child interested in or already in drum corps. She also presents some great rationale for parents who believe drum corps is too expensive for their kids to march, arguments potential members can present themselves to skeptical parents.

As always, I love when columns like this show up in my e-mail box, and I encourage anyone who has a story about junior drum corps from any perspective to drop me a line.

Michael Boo

boomike@dci.org

Where's Carl? This is another article you can use, in addition to the ones by Nikk.

Garry in Vegas

The Parent's Perspective

Sara Morgan contributed this Fanfare column that should be read by every parent who has a child interested in or already in drum corps. She also presents some great rationale for parents who believe drum corps is too expensive for their kids to march, arguments potential members can present themselves to skeptical parents.

As always, I love when columns like this show up in my e-mail box, and I encourage anyone who has a story about junior drum corps from any perspective to drop me a line.

Michael Boo

boomike@dci.org

Heh, and on the other side of the coin, we've got the "Free day mischief" thread which also an interesting read for the parents of a child interested in or already in drum corps.

I didn't have a parent like Sara. Though, I'm not sure I'd like my mom going on tour with me. Kind of ruins the whole "out on your own" experience. This was the best thing about drum corps: testing your wings.

My folks hated corps, even though I paid for my own tour and all the other expenses marching SCV. They never saw me march one show in two years of corps. I was the only odd one in the family not playing sports, so my little contests were of not much interest.

But what can you do? I guess I was lucky enough that I got to march 2 years in one of the greatest drum corps there is, even with non-supportive parents.

Heh, and on the other side of the coin, we've got the "Free day mischief" thread which also an interesting read for the parents of a child interested in or already in drum corps.

Free Day debauchery is only one day. A normal summer has many more opportunities for a 16 year old kid.

Edited by scv guy

Well, at least if they the child is going to get wacky on a free day, it's somewhere other than their home town where people would know their parents. :)

I didn't have a parent like Sara. Though, I'm not sure I'd like my mom going on tour with me. Kind of ruins the whole "out on your own" experience. This was the best thing about drum corps: testing your wings.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm sorry your parents didn't support you in your passion. Just to clarify, I worked the food truck for camps and at spring training. I haven't been on tour with my child. I was scheduled to be on tour working on the food truck, this past summer, for 2 weeks, but could not go because I ended up having back surgery.

About the spreading your wings and having your Mom around...... I too marched with a top 12 drum corps, so I know what it is like on the road and to be away from your parents. I did discuss my being to tour with him, and truly, I would not have interfered with him spreading his wings..... And now that his is 18, I'm just glad I can be involved in activities that he is passionate about.

Sara