New Design For Spartans.

The lack of returning vets is no issue??? really? I'm sorry but thats a large issue to me. When a drum corps like the Spartans which is a community base drum crops loose a lot of members that is a horrible thing. It proves a point that there is something wrong.

I'm sorry that you feel that way. This kind of thing happens to all corps. Maybe not in such a radical fashion. But that turnover is something that will lead to a new corps. This year will no doubt be a corps that on the surface has little to do with the Spartans of years past. At the same time the same drive, and desire to learn will remain in the hearts of everyone to slip that helmet over their brow. Forgive me for waxing romantic for a bit, but I highly doubt that Peter is doing anything that would put the corps in danger. It's a family venture that has had the Laflamme name tied to it for half a century. One thing that man will never do, is knowingly jeopardize that organization. That's all I have on the subject.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa whoa whoa!

Hold the hell on here.

Accusing an organization like Spartans of financial trouble because the staff left is hardly on base. They have their reasons for leaving obviously but money is NOT on that list. Not for any of them. Financially the organization is doing very well, and is one of the few corps that runs in the black in this division. Check out their tax forms if you want proof. Peter Laflamme runs a very tight ship business wise, and will continue to do so. The reason the Bb's weren't bought last year was so we could go to Pasadena. The corps knows when to control spending.

The lack of returning vets is no issue. So what if they have an off year? Spending more than a decade in the top 5 gets difficult for any corps. Especially one in division 2/3. A high turnover year to year happens. 2007 was the highest turnover I experienced with them. Still got gold. If they slip past 3rd I will still be cheering them on. The Spartans have been a fixture in the New England drum corps community since 1955 for a reason. The only thing you people do when you flex your opinions on a public forum (which I have NO problem with, trust me) is discourage potential members who may be looking at this thread. So unless you back up your post with hard evidence of gross mismanagement please think of the consequences before you hit 'post reply'.

That all being said you think that this new staff doesn't have the weight of 4 world championships hanging above their heads already? Does it even matter to them? When did being a Spartan mean that not finishing top 3 is a failed season? Where on their mission statement do they ever say "We are the perfect corps, we will always be top 3, and march over 100 members."? I don't see it, so why expect it? If they drop below 70 members this year I don't care. Those 60 kids will have a great summer, and will stretch their legs in this wonderful activity. God bless that corps for giving them the chance to do just that for so long.

With the new staff in place I do NOT doubt them one bit!! I very happy for them, but very sad to see the Spartans that I marched with have such a large turn over. Hell, the Spartans THEY marched with too. So good for Peter for getting Alum to run the corps but it's very sad to see many vets not want to go back because of those reasons. This year will be very different for them, but I do believe there will be a lot of good things that come from them!!! Will it be the same as the past 5 years, not at all but change isn't always a bad thing!

Before, you are quick to jump over everyone else you should know certain information 1st hand. Actually, no one on the outside knows anything 1st hand but what we do know is that there are many issues with certain people. There have always been issues with certain people. I'm not trying to bash Peter, but no one is perfect.

Edited by sshcg2001

I'm sorry that you feel that way. This kind of thing happens to all corps. Maybe not in such a radical fashion. But that turnover is something that will lead to a new corps. This year will no doubt be a corps that on the surface has little to do with the Spartans of years past. At the same time the same drive, and desire to learn will remain in the hearts of everyone to slip that helmet over their brow. Forgive me for waxing romantic for a bit, but I highly doubt that Peter is doing anything that would put the corps in danger. It's a family venture that has had the Laflamme name tied to it for half a century. One thing that man will never do, is knowingly jeopardize that organization. That's all I have on the subject.

If a new drum corps is what Peter wants then thats fine. BUt to ruin something for the members of the past years, just doesn't seem right. The only reason why ANY Drum corps is here is to server the students involved. And I don't think that the changes made were positive. The Job of the Director is to make the best decisions for the students, allowing so many volunteers and interest leave could never me a positive thing.

Guest Myusik4Jakassez

I never said there was a financial issue, nor did I mean anything about money when I said charity! :worthy:

Here's an example of what I'm talking about: This year, YEA helped out some east coast drum corps by letting them set up info stands at ANY of their shows. I'm talking about this kind of work on a much larger scale, something only a huge organization like DCI can effectively do!

Another example: Say a corps had staff issues, like in this particular case with the Spartans. DCI could do something to help that corps find top-notch instructors and volunteers from around the world, putting job listings in every form of media and getting the word out to the best of the best that this corps needs their help! Another great way DCI can help is to add some moolah to the staff's salary so they stick around (if the corps needs financial help, of course). THAT's what I'm talking about!

These corps keep DCI alive, so I don't see why DCI can't give a helping hand if it will benefit them as well!

Edited by Myusik4Jakassez

I think one thing everyone needs to remember right now is that change can be a good thing. Only time will tell with it though.

Peter LaFlamme was an excellent business man. However, he was not close at all with the members--he didn't know anyone's names, even vets who'd been there 3+ years.

Knowing some of the returning staff, and staff that had previously marched, I'm confident that they'll get many members to stay for the next season. It doesn't matter how many members actually put on those uniforms. Spartans was never about marching as many members as they possibly could. It was about taking those who the staff knew could do it and making sure that their limits were pushed to make that individual a better overall performer. It was about creating a family, about getting everyone to have the same goal, and getting everyone to go home and make them wish the season never had to end. And the staff did exactly that. I'm positive that the new staff will get those same things from the new members. Any returning vets may feel differently, but I believe that the rookies will have one hell of a time this year.

DCI could do something to help that corps find top-notch instructors and volunteers from around the world, putting job listings in every form of media and getting the word out to the best of the best that this corps needs their help! Another great way DCI can help is to add some moolah to the staff's salary so they stick around (if the corps needs financial help, of course). THAT's what I'm talking about!

These corps keep DCI alive, so I don't see why DCI can't give a helping hand if it will benefit them as well!

I know I was blasted for commenting a few weeks ago, but once again I must say that I feel that it is highly in appropriate for a young member of a corps to be commenting on the administrative affairs of another organization.

I bought a Nomex suit, so go ahead and flame away at me for saying this. Freedom of speech is one thing... but this is highly inappropriate. Yes, I will be the first to admit that I believe that CHILDREN should be seen and NOT heard [on affairs such as this].

edited to add the last five words.

Edited by corpsvalues

I know I was blasted for commenting a few weeks ago, but once again I must say that I feel that it is highly in appropriate for a young member of a corps to be commenting on the administrative affairs of another organization.

I bought a Nomex suit, so go ahead and flame away at me for saying this. Freedom of speech is one thing... but this is highly inappropriate. Yes, I will be the first to admit that I believe that CHILDREN should be seen and NOT heard.

What kinda of statement is that? "CHILDREN should be seen and NOT heard." The only reason why drum corps is still around is for the "Childern" i don't think you will find many "Childern" that stand on a football filed for 10+ hours a day...

The reason for my post was not to engage a discussion on the staff leaving. I don't think that it is appropriate for people to comment on things that they know nothing about. No one know the REAL reason why the staff left. The only people who know what happened are Peter and the former staff members.

I rely on my information from their website and my friend that marches there. Being in Penn, it is difficult to know exactly what is going on. But I want to point out that my friend said there were 39 horn players at the open house. I think they fielded right around that many in 2003. I am not worried about membership. This is also obviously a very touchy subject considering all the former members posts.

I simply wanted to invoke discussion of the new visual designer and if anyone has seen his drill live or to comment on the stuff on his site. I am sorry the discussion went the way it did and its getting way too emotional and way out of control.

I would appreciate it if someone would close this forum to prevent further rumors and for the well being of the organization.

The reason for my post was not to engage a discussion on the staff leaving. I don't think that it is appropriate for people to comment on things that they know nothing about. No one know the REAL reason why the staff left. The only people who know what happened are Peter and the former staff members.

I rely on my information from their website and my friend that marches there. Being in Penn, it is difficult to know exactly what is going on. But I want to point out that my friend said there were 39 horn players at the open house. I think they fielded right around that many in 2003. I am not worried about membership. This is also obviously a very touchy subject considering all the former members posts.

I simply wanted to invoke discussion of the new visual designer and if anyone has seen his drill live or to comment on the stuff on his site. I am sorry the discussion went the way it did and its getting way too emotional and way out of control.

I would appreciate it if someone would close this forum to prevent further rumors and for the well being of the organization.

Why when the thruth starts comming out, people would rather close the form...

Edited by Caesar