New Design For Spartans.

Why when the thruth starts comming out, people would rather close the form...

What Truth?! Have any of the former staff members spoke or posted personally? Has The director come and posted anything? No! They have not. That makes it rumor and here say. I do not wish to be a part of that.

We may never know what happened. But these rumors may be the doom of Spartans and it is not my wish.

I hope that old vets and new members can look past what may or may not have happened and realize that the Spartans will go out with a quality program as they always do. Because no one may ever truly know what happened.

Edited by Ron Burgendy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I tended to agree with you until you said...

Yes, I will be the first to admit that I believe that CHILDREN should be seen and NOT heard.

:worthy:

Yes, I will be the first to admit that I believe that CHILDREN should be seen and NOT heard.

And what happens when the children aren't seen?

Spartans are going to be saved this year, much the way ECJ was saved in from 02-06...Corps Alumni! They were able to put together a staff that knows how the director works, and will be able to separate the kids from him...(just like ECJ). They may not be the same corps that everyone remembers from the past few years...but that may not be a bad thing. You have percussion caption heads flying in from Texas to teach an open class corps...are you going to say its for the money? They want to see this corps succeed, provided they don't get burnt out...you could see a nice corps grow with this staff in the coming years!

This is not good. At all.

Having done some research on the new staff I am sad to report they are less than qualified. Alum are former members who've either been let go in previous terms with the corps as instructors or were less than stellar members. There is no way at all this can be construed as a good thing.

The only new hire up to snuff is the brass arranger/caption head. From his resume he has the experience needed to produce a competitive product in Open Class. I don't see him as much of a recruiter though. Wasn't he holding the same positions a few weeks ago when they had only 1 brass student?

I also don't see where the distance someone travels to work with a group as having any bearing on potential success. This new staf may have all the best intentions in the world. What they lack is teaching skill, experience and members.

I have found out the long simmering disconnect between management and staff to be the reason for the split. When the staff coordinator left the entire staff followed. It is apparent the overwhelming majority of members did also. After some intense board of directors meetings the existing director was allowed to remain (family ties are hard to break) but the corps is severely weakened. The Spartans that take the field in 2008 will be a shell of what they were.

I too have heard that a number of key instructional & support staff have signed on with the Citations. I have no doubt a large amount of members will join them to create a new Open Class force in Burlington.

I am disappointed it all has come to this.

Spartans are going to be saved this year, much the way ECJ was saved in from 02-06...Corps Alumni! They were able to put together a staff that knows how the director works, and will be able to separate the kids from him...(just like ECJ). They may not be the same corps that everyone remembers from the past few years...but that may not be a bad thing. You have percussion caption heads flying in from Texas to teach an open class corps...are you going to say its for the money? They want to see this corps succeed, provided they don't get burnt out...you could see a nice corps grow with this staff in the coming years!

You might want to be careful how you word things. This leads me to believe the Spartans previous staff, over the past years, has been bringing down the corps. I beg to differ. You not only claim that, but you also imply the old staff was not comprised of corps alumni? You are Terribly mistaken. I did a little research and it appears that the staff from last season was comprised of veterans who held an impressive 35+ years of member experience within that corps. That means when everyone's "veteran years" were added up it came to over 35, if you didn't catch that the first time. The majority of the remaining staff (who are not alumni), as everyone already knows, have been there for over 10 years. To say that these people did not know how the executive director worked sounds absurd to me. Usually, after a good year of solid friendship with any one of my peers, I know how they think, act, and communicate. A staff member and executive director don't necessarily have to be friends, but on a business standpoint, after 10+ years working together, they MUST know how each other works, especially with myriad top medal placements and, more importantly, after 4 World Championship Titles. We all know for a fact that the new staff, recently put into place, does not possess these properties. I do not question their talent but you are misconstruing the facts. You describe these men and women as "saviors" solely because some are corps alumni. AND Survey Says... No, you are wrong. "Saving" a corps takes more than what you are claiming. Honestly, this corps never had to be saved, in the way you are describing, in the previous years under the old staff. If you want to say they need to be saved at all, be my guest. Do me a favor though, and at least make the right educated guess as to WHEN this rescue should supervene: Like, Now.

This trumps any of your claims.

I know I was blasted for commenting a few weeks ago, but once again I must say that I feel that it is highly in appropriate for a young member of a corps to be commenting on the administrative affairs of another organization.

I bought a Nomex suit, so go ahead and flame away at me for saying this. Freedom of speech is one thing... but this is highly inappropriate. Yes, I will be the first to admit that I believe that CHILDREN should be seen and NOT heard [on affairs such as this].

edited to add the last five words.

:rolleyes:

How is it inappropriate at all?

Seriously I want to know.

He never even commented on their administrative affairs other than saying something we all know, that they're having staffing troubles. All he was talking about were ways that DCI could help the activity.

Although I am just a kid, so let me know if I'm allowed to say anything.

If not, I'll have a mod delete this post.

Good luck to the Spartans, hopefully you come out in '08 with the same fire you ended '07 with.

What Truth?! Have any of the former staff members spoke or posted personally? Has The director come and posted anything? No! They have not. That makes it rumor and here say. I do not wish to be a part of that.

We may never know what happened. But these rumors may be the doom of Spartans and it is not my wish.

I hope that old vets and new members can look past what may or may not have happened and realize that the Spartans will go out with a quality program as they always do. Because no one may ever truly know what happened.

This reminds me a lot of the ECJ thread where people reported there was 1 brass member at the first camp. Everyone said "Don't spread rumors that aren't true". I think I've seen more 'rumors' on this board that turn out to be true than those that turn out to be false. Don't get me wrong, this entire thread could be filled with crap for all I know, but when you start getting similar stories from multiple sources I don't think dismissing them all as rumors and falsehoods is necessary.

Also, someone made the point that this thread is only dissuading potential members reading it from going to Spartans. I know if I was a potential member I would want to know if the corps I was auditioning for was not the same one from the past 10 years. That is not a rumor, that is a fact: a completely new staff. Auditioning members deserve to know that.

Ok, as someone who has been involved with this organization for a number of years, I find the comment I bolded highly offensive and I think you are in no position to make any statements insinutating that the previous staff has ever had anything less than the best interests of the students and the organization in mind. Keep your mouth shut about things you dont know about.

This is not good. At all.

Having done some research on the new staff I am sad to report they are less than qualified. Alum are former members who've either been let go in previous terms with the corps as instructors or were less than stellar members. There is no way at all this can be construed as a good thing.

Who are you to make a wild accusation like that? What research... did you talk to the new staff members personally. Show some proof. Why do you insist on driving people away from them. Are you that bitter that the staff up and left that you would rather see them fold than put out a successful season.

PURE SELFISHNESS. :rolleyes:

And about rumor spreading... It is fair to say that there is an entirely new staff. But almost all corps have acquired new staff and I wouldn't be shocked if a hand full of them have mostly new staff members. But trying to distract people away is odd to me. I don't understand why someone would say "You are better off not marching at all than to march there." and try to destroy the activity for those that do try and participate.

Edited by Ron Burgendy