Single Valve Getzens

G_Bass

I recently got 3 of 'em, a Sop, a Bari and a Bass Bari. All are G Getzen Titleists with 1 valve. Anyone know if for sure they are G-D horns, or if they are different?

I recently got 3 of 'em, a Sop, a Bari and a Bass Bari. All are G Getzen Titleists with 1 valve. Anyone know if for sure they are G-D horns, or if they are different?

Rotor horns also?

If they are just single valve with a slide they are probably G/D. On the soprano, with the tubing on the left side of the the bell, as you're playing the horn, it is a fairly open wrap. With the G/F horn, (I think the G/F horns all had rotors by this time), the tubing on the left of the bell was a real tight wrap.

Anyone know if for sure they are G-D horns?

You would, if you'd play them.

They will all sound a G harmonic series on the open horn.

With the piston in, a G-D horn sounds a D series.

With the piston in, a G-F horn sounds an F series.

Getzen Titleist were the last horizontal valve bugles that they made and were produced during the 1960's. The Titleist series came in either G-D or G-F as the F valve was legalized in 1968. The easiest way to tell is to check the tubing coming of the valve. The F valve tubing will be about 8-9 inches on a soprano, double that for the baritones, equaling the first valve on a standard G bugle. The D valve tubing length will be much longer, approx 20-21 inches on the sop, double that again for the baritone.

The F valve with drop pitch a major second and the D valve a perfect fourth.

Getzen Titleist were the last horizontal valve bugles that they made and were produced during the 1960's. The Titleist series came in either G-D or G-F as the F valve was legalized in 1968. The easiest way to tell is to check the tubing coming of the valve. The F valve tubing will be about 8-9 inches on a soprano, double that for the baritones, equaling the first valve on a standard G bugle. The D valve tubing length will be much longer, approx 20-21 inches on the sop, double that again for the baritone.

One way to tell from the sound is to play a C (concert G - match to a keyboard if necessary) and then press in the valve while still playing. A G-F will sound a full step lower when the valve is pressed. The G-D will usually sound a 1/2 step lower. Of course, you could take photos and most of us oldtimers can tell in a heartbeat what you have. Using the presence or absence of a rotor is inconclusive.

Correction: The Bass Bari is a Titleist, the Bari is a Slingerland, and the Sop is a W.F.L. Drum Co. from Chicago, Il.

And I think they are G/D horns. But as soon as I can post pics up, I'll do that, and let y'all pick 'em apart :)

Interesting, I'll have to check the single valve Baris I have. Thought the 50s WFL Tenor Bari was a G/F as the "valve" notes sound different than my 1930s Conn G/D Tenor Bari. Now that I can check the length of the valve tubing I don't have to depend on my crappy untrained ears.... Thanks.....

I just tested them again, and from G, they go down a perfect 4th.

Here is a site with a wealth of info on bugles. Interesting stuff and links and pictures.

bugle stuff.

seems like, according to this site that G/F bugles were introduced by the F.E. Olds company in 1968 with a rotor, but I seem to remember older Getzens with a rotor.

Getzen (and others) offered F#, F and E (bari only) rotors for their G-D bugles, in addition to the slip-slide models. On the "pea-shooter" contras, they only offered the F and F# rotors.