New Drum Corps Member

capital_sop_chicka

Hey all, I'm a new inductee of Capital Regiment this year, and I have a quick question. I'm a freshman and soloist in my high school's marching band, and I've worked with my director on marching both Capital and regular marching band as long as I review the drill every now and then, and memorize the music by the time I get back. I was wondering if it would be advisable to take my horn and silent brass along on the road for the bus or any free time I may have. Tell me if any of you hove ever done this, how it worked out, and if you advise me to do this. Thanks!

Hey all, I'm a new inductee of Capital Regiment this year, and I have a quick question. I'm a freshman and soloist in my high school's marching band, and I've worked with my director on marching both Capital and regular marching band as long as I review the drill every now and then, and memorize the music by the time I get back. I was wondering if it would be advisable to take my horn and silent brass along on the road for the bus or any free time I may have. Tell me if any of you hove ever done this, how it worked out, and if you advise me to do this. Thanks!

After marching drum corps, it'll be a piece of cake to catch up on drill with your high school band. You aren't really gonna have room to take the silent brass with you. Take the music, you may get a chance to look it over or something, but don't worry too much about it. Marching band is going to seem so easy to you next year :)

As a music major who marches corps, I find it's very important to take along your normal solos, etude and technique books, excerpts, etc. that you practice to keep them up. You won't have tons of free time, but I would recommend spending time after shows and rehearsal days practicing. However, I would recommend playing this stuff on your marching horn; they are generally more challenging to play as well as your concert horn, and once you get back to your normal horn it will make playing it well simpler. It's kind of like running with weights on your legs; when you take them off, it's easier to run. I wouldn't worry about Silent Brass or other fancy practice stuff. Bring a met if you have a cheap one, otherwise just bring your music. You might also want to get a solo ready for I&E; now is a good time to start on that. I've already got mine memorized, so I'm ready to go, although memorization isn't a requirement.

yeah dude, I don't think you'd need it, but you could take your silent brass with you. you could also take your band instrument along, and play it and your school music in your spare time. I usually practice after shows; some people carry their trumpets under their seat and along with after shows, practice at rest stops and during meal breaks. it worked out okay.

I know it will be easier to work on my baritone audition stuff after shows and stuff and to finger through stuff on the bus. Plus I'll be working on technique and everything all day everyday. Try preparing a flute audition while on tour. I know it can be done since my drum major in Capital had her flute along on tour. Practicing at rest stops is a wonderful idea! I never thought about practicing an instrument at the rest stops. ( I was always trying work on some drill move or something...) I will definitely be practicing my flute at all those "Pee, no buy" stops.