Sponsorship Success?

Hey all -

I'm going into my 3rd and final summer of junior corps and have yet to have a truly successful sponsorship campaign. Last year I really went for local businesses that I've been connected to personally, or visited frequently (my bank, Wal-Mart, Target, former employers) but despite these efforts no one really came through with helping me cover dues payments.

I've heard stories of kids who went to companies and had great success with them donating money for tuition, but no real explanations of how they went about it, what they included in their letter, how they followed up etc...

Anyone with any insight on how you successfully funded your tour?

Thanks

Hey all -

I'm going into my 3rd and final summer of junior corps and have yet to have a truly successful sponsorship campaign. Last year I really went for local businesses that I've been connected to personally, or visited frequently (my bank, Wal-Mart, Target, former employers) but despite these efforts no one really came through with helping me cover dues payments.

I've heard stories of kids who went to companies and had great success with them donating money for tuition, but no real explanations of how they went about it, what they included in their letter, how they followed up etc...

Anyone with any insight on how you successfully funded your tour?

Thanks

Grab a phone book and write to every business in town. i know a guy who made 1,000 copies of a letter and mailed them out to family, friends, and businesses and got $3000 back for it.

Other things you can try is if you corps has an Alumni email list on their site.

Former Band Directors, Music teachers, instructors have helped in the past.

I have also sat in a busy area with my drum and a coffee can.

I tried the letters to all the businesses in town thing...absolutely 0 response, but maybe it was just my area. The only luck I ever got was corps alumnus and family and friends.

my advice...be very respectful about it...and hit up your close friends (maybe their parents?) and possibly older family members

Pioneer has a sponsorship program that is very helpful to many students. It is on the website at pioneer-corps.org.

Go to doctors, lawyers and people that support the arts, as well as family members and in my case old drum corps buddies from alumni corps.

Donny

I tried the letters to all the businesses in town thing...absolutely 0 response, but maybe it was just my area. The only luck I ever got was corps alumnus and family and friends.

my advice...be very respectful about it...and hit up your close friends (maybe their parents?) and possibly older family members

I would agree with the above suggestion. The times I have commtted funds to supporting marching members in a corps of which I am an alumnus of have been through direct contact via the director or other corps management.

Just a comment - If you are successful in raising funds, keep the donor in mind. A thank when funds are received and at the end of the season is a good idea. Also, a note with or without a photo through the course of the summer is a real nice touch.

Good luck. What corps are you marching with?

National chain stores like Target and WalMart often do not have the ability to make donation decisions at the store level. Try approaching businesses (including stores) that are more local to your area, and make it personal! I don't think most business owners are likely to donate based on a letter unless they already know you (or your family).

Just a thought, but I would approach the local newspaper to see if they'll do some sort of story on you with a well-worded request for assistance included in the story. They could interview you, take a photo, and also write some info on how the drum corps activity helps young people in "real life". Anything you can provide as "research" to the paper would help your cause... Write yourself a press release, submit it to the papers, and see what happens! You can also "submit" your press release across the internet with many free submission services for others to pick up. You never know what a paper will print on a slow news day!

Edited by Linda Slocum