Colorguard

In my high school marching band, all the girls have some type of wording for the same phrase on their myspaces and facebooks and whatnot. They all say "obviously all I've done for the past four years is throw a metal pole in the air with my BFFLS".

They make the activity seem really dumb and pointless, describing in such a way. None of them want to march in a drum corps.

For all of you hard-corps, serious colorguard guys and girls, do you ever describe the activity in such a way? I would hope it would be put more, how should I say, eloquently than "spinning a metal pole in the air".

Compare and contrast the differences in describing the activity to normal people through the standard high-school marching band kid, or the serious drum corps marcher.

In my high school marching band, all the girls have some type of wording for the same phrase on their myspaces and facebooks and whatnot. They all say "obviously all I've done for the past four years is throw a metal pole in the air with my BFFLS".

They make the activity seem really dumb and pointless, describing in such a way. None of them want to march in a drum corps.

For all of you hard-corps, serious colorguard guys and girls, do you ever describe the activity in such a way? I would hope it would be put more, how should I say, eloquently than "spinning a metal pole in the air".

Compare and contrast the differences in describing the activity to normal people through the standard high-school marching band kid, or the serious drum corps marcher.

While it's probably a different intent... Yeah, I've said that before. When I'm explaining it to other people, it really depends on who it is and how interested they actually are. Just like the drum corps activity in general. If it's a band kid, then they're more likely to understand as long as you make sure they realize that it's "more intense." If it's someone completely outside of these activities who really doesn't have a clue and isn't that interested, I might say I'm in the colorguard for a drum corps... It's kind of like marching band except harder and all summer, and I spin flag and dance to the music.

Anyway, just how I view it. Just thought I'd post because I thought it was funny because I've probably said the words, "I throw a metal pole in the air." :thumbup:

Edited by dutoutcatch

Dude, most guards Ive seen out there "JUST THROW POLLS IN THE AIR" A good color guard is few and far between.

CHECK THIS OUT good rifle work from 1899 (no kidding)

Wow, thats cool.

Dude, most guards Ive seen out there "JUST THROW POLLS IN THE AIR" A good color guard is few and far between.

CHECK THIS OUT good rifle work from 1899 (no kidding)

you call that good?

To answer the OP's question: They're high school girls. What do you expect?

you call that good?

To answer the OP's question: They're high school girls. What do you expect?

yes. it's because of people like him in 1899, we got the 1981 Scouts Rifle line and 1980 27th Lancers rifle line.

Yes. Yes. Yes. I do call THAT good.

yes. it's because of people like him in 1899, we got the 1981 Scouts Rifle line and 1980 27th Lancers rifle line.

Yes. Yes. Yes. I do call THAT good.

Just watched 81 Scouts on youtube - WOW! That's what I enjoyed about drum corps guards, it's completely different from the current activity. With no disrespect to current guards becuase they are very talented and the activiy is so different, I enjoyed the level of difficulty of the equipment work way back when. PS - I didn't see any drops.

Just watched 81 Scouts on youtube - WOW! That's what I enjoyed about drum corps guards, it's completely different from the current activity. With no disrespect to current guards becuase they are very talented and the activiy is so different, I enjoyed the level of difficulty of the equipment work way back when. PS - I didn't see any drops.

How can you talk Color Guard's of the past and not mention :

S. Cal Kingsmen

or

Casper Troopers

They moved Color Cuard way Forward!!

Generally when I tell people about colorguard, I just tell them that I spin the flag/rifle/sabre. If they seem more interested about what exactly I do, then I'll explain that the colorguard is responsible for telling the story of the music to the audience through our movements on the field. So, it really all depends on how interested the person is when I explain.

i dunno, you dont think those guard girls were being sarcastic? i mean, im sure they dedicate a lot of time to it, they have to have some kind of respect or pride in what theyre doing, id think...