mouthpeices

josh161

my band director seems to think that largest baritone /trombone range mouthpeice for a small shanked horn is a 61/2 al. i was jsut wondering who make bigger for a small shanked baritone/ trombone and where i could get order them from?

6 1/2 al is the standard mouthpiece that comes with most marching baritones, is it not? Schilke makes a variety of sizes. You'll probably want to go to your local music store and ask for a catalog.

http://www.schilkemusic.com/

with that said, I'm moving this to the appropriate forum for better results on what you're looking for

There are uses for larger mouthpieces on relatively small horns. IIRC, Schilke does make a 51D in either shank. The Bach 5GS comes in either shank. I think even the 5G comes in both shank sizes. I doubt the Schilke 60 comes in tenor shank. But I've been wrong before. If you go too big, your horn will tend to play flater. Although going big can make a relatively stuffy horn feel almost normal. But you could be shooting yourself in the foot in terms of range and endurance by going big.

Just how big are you planning on going? And what baritone are we talking about. Some of the older tenor shanked ones are .500 bore and play great on 11C's and 12C's which are much smaller than a 6 1/2 AL. The newer ones are bass shank and almost Euph-ish in playing traits. In either case a 51D is probably a safer bet than a 6 1/2 AL. Or it's variants, Conn 5E, Deg BB1, .....

Why do you want a huge mouthpiece? Bigger isn't necessarily better. Find one that you can center, produce a good sound with, and is comfortable. High school kids get too caught up in the mouthpiece game.

There's a fair number of HS band directors that get caught up in the mouthpiece game, too. A friend of mine, who happens to be a middle school band director AND was a horn major, was telling me about her daughter's band director wanting her to change to a 10-1/2C for her trumpet to get a bigger sound. My friend and I both had a good laugh about that one - like a mouthpiece is going to make a huge difference in volume.

My advice is go with what works. I've played a Parduba 5-1/2* for decades and am considering a shift to something like a Bach Megatone 5C. The Parduba used to work, but now I'm playing stuff that I think would benefit from the sound of a standard cup.

its actually not for me, a friend of mine. My band director is a french horn palyer and honestly has know idea about low brass mouthpeices. He is currently palying a on a jupiter student model bone but will probably be on a baritone for marching band next season. Currently playing a 7c t-bone mouthpiece. is that right? it says 7c right on it . not sure what company.

There is a LITTLE bit of truth to the mouthpiece game....the same mouthpiece will not work the same for all students....not saying that a mouthpiece will make you great or not, but can put that final touch on a good foundation of general playing.

There's a reason why hornlines all have a certain kind of mouthpiece for each section

There is a LITTLE bit of truth to the mouthpiece game....the same mouthpiece will not work the same for all students....not saying that a mouthpiece will make you great or not, but can put that final touch on a good foundation of general playing.

There's a reason why hornlines all have a certain kind of mouthpiece for each section