mouthpeices

josh161

how many of these are available in small shank and where in new england (maine specifically) could i find them

osmun brass in mass tell jim becker i sent you-----figure it out!!!

i play on a yamaha 48 mouthpiece for marching, i couldn't find anything bigger in tenor shank, i sound much better on big mouthpieces. For concert, i use a yamaha 59gp, no one in my section can play on it and sound as good as i do, just like i can't play on their smaller pieces and sound as good as they do. There's times that i play on a 24aw on euph and it feels really comfortable, but the sound is way too big.

I gues there should be no standard mouthpiece since not everyone has the same characteristics when it comes to playing.

Edited by s3si1u

Generally, mouthpiece sizing is not universal. Whatever enables you to produce the tone that you're looking for, probably fairly dark yet clear for marching, is what you should get. I would recommend starting off testing a 6 1/2 AL like what you have now. Other common-ish sizes to consider are 5G, 1 1/2G, 12C, and possibly a 7 or 8C (these last two are somewhat rarer, in many cases you would be better going to a 6 1/2 AL or a 12C). I would recommend as large a throat size as you can stand so that you can move a large amount of air through the horn, although this may be different depending on your individual needs.

Bottom line is that everyone's different, and what works best for you is what you should have.