Heavyweight mouthpieces

vferrera

The more massive a mouthpiece is, the less it will vibrate. Thus, it transfers more energy into the instrument resulting in a richer sound. This is brand-specific. Bach Megatone mouthpieces tend to deaden an otherwise clear trumpet sound. This is because the internal dimensions of the mouthpiece do not compensate for the increased mass, save for a throat that is one drill size larger. The internal dimensions of Monette mouthpieces do compensate for mass. Typically the heavier the blank, the larger the throat and backbore. This keeps the mouthpiece from playing stuffy or dead. Essentially, you get all of the benefits of added mass, with few drawbacks. I have experimented with XLT, LT, STC-1, and STC-3 Monette blanks, and each blank does play differently. A mouthpiece that is too heavy for the instrument will cause the sound to be very diffuse and "dark". Conversely, a mouthpiece that is too light for the instrument will cause the sound to be thin. I eventually settled on a B1-1 on the STC-1 blank for legit work, because the mouthpiece is exceptionally large and open (18 throat), and mass helps to accommodate. I'd like to end up on a B1-1S5 Prana, simply because the new cup shape and Prana configuration just allow for an even larger and more brilliant sound. For drum corps and commercial stuff (about 99% of my playing) I settled on a BL4S6 Prana on the extra lightweight blank. I like this mass because the mouthpiece is extremely small, but very open. The lighter weight of the blank helps to keep the upper register freer blowing and sounding bright.

Benefits of added mass

-Larger targets

-Tighter slots

-Increased dynamic range

-More consistent timbre

Drawbacks of added mass (eg., Bach Megatone)

-A "darker" or deadened sound

-More acoustical resistance

-Loss of flexibility

The above may be true. However, I think you can also learn to color your sound using different playing techniques.

This will vary for everyone, but I know if I'm playing a solo in a samba, for example, I want a warm, rich sound, but I want it to be also loose and fluid to the rhythm. If we're playing, "Sing, Sing, Sing" we start out brash and dirty and end strong and bright. I can get both on my Curry mpc, I forget the model number, but it's just a standard size.

BeBop, which I'm not very good at, sounds good with an edgy sound that's kind of airy.

Byron Stripling did a wonderful tribute to Louis Armstrong and merged his own sound with a good imitation of Armstrong's.

Arturo Sandoval has a tribute album where he plays in the style of quite a few different artists and comes pretty close to nailing them all. I think Stripling used a Schilke and Sandoval his own design, (which is very large), but he used to play Bach 3C, I believe.

You may choose a heavy weight mouthpiece for a darker sound, but I bet there will be times when you will want to play bright, so you will have to learn to sound bright on that mouthpiece or switch mpcs.

It can depend on your age and what you're doing also. I'm 54 and I'm playing a dinner dance this Sat. and it will be two 1 hour sets+. Doesn't sound like much, but there is very little time between songs, you have to keep them on the floor dancing. About 20 songs a set. I don't want a heavy horn or mouthpiece!

However, if it cures dandruff...

what about Schilke?

Personally, I've played on shallow Schilke mouthpieces and they are very comfortable. Some people sound good on the shallow pieces, some have a harsh edgy sound that eventually softens a bit, but still is a bit bright for most situations to blend.

Deeper Schilke mpcs also are very comfortable and come in very large sizes. Obviously, the larger sizes have a darker sound and all the other traits that most large mpcs share.

And the prices are very reasonable, which makes it easy on the wallet if you want to experiment a little.

Sometimes the minutest of differences in mpc construction can have a huge impact on your playing and make it possible for you to advance more quickly. There is no substitute for practice, but finding the right fit is crucial.

If you're just talking drum corps use, a shallow schilke might be a problem because I think your sound may really stick out of the ensemble - they are truly that bright sounding. However, you can get a handle on the sound, with some work to that end.

Endurance is always key with drum corps, so Schilke has a good rim for endurance, more so than Bach IMO, but any comfortable rim brings with it some areas that will need some attention to bring it back in line after you find one that seems like it will work. (Back in the sixties, our horn instructor gave all the lead sops Parduba 5 Star, double-cup mouthpieces to play on. He said they'd improve our endurance and range. He was right and the sound is good. However, the plating wore off quickly and I didn't like playing on the raw brass so I gave it up after about 5 years. Pardubas were always called "cheater" mouthpieces and in some way it could be true - just like a nail gun is a cheater by someone that swears by the hammer. However, Pardubas require a ton of practice to sound good and articulate well on. bottom line - there are no "cheater" mouthpieces)

Finding the right fit is like a little journey and can be fun, if you don't get too wrapped up in it. You may find something, if you experiment, that really works and you'll be pleased with your find and the results. If not, send it back, if you can and move on, but always make practice your main tool to improvement.

How about the Schilke heavyweight mpc? Any experience with those?

Not the heavyweight mouthpieces. The sound and playing characteristics, I imagine would be a little different, but I think the playability of the cups would be about the same.

I have played on high mass mouthpieces and the previously mentioned Parduba was a heavy mouthpiece. It does seem to give a darker tone and maybe even a more solid feeling tone center.

Give it a try - see if YOU like it.

The heavy weight pieces do tend to darken the tone. Although on my LM-35, after almost two years of using it. Not that I play a lot anymore, my tone is starting to brighten up a bit. The main improvement is that they don't bounce around as much. For things like sousaphone or contra, where there's a bit of pipe before any bracing, that's quite a difference.

The translation to playing characteristics is that they center / slot better. And they tend to take more air/volume before the tone starts to distort. At least that's how it works with the stainless steel variety of heavy weight mouthpieces. Although some tend to accent these traits with other changes like a sharper inner rim and larger throat. So it's not just the material or weight.

I have heard (but I could easily be wrong) that a heavy mouthpiece can help to balance the weight of the horn. Most horns are front heavy. By adding weight on the light side of the horn, you get a better balance, making it easier to play.