Surf Perc

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Errraaaaaaaaa.....

I guess not in the judges' eyes, there, friend. But hey, to each his own I say.

Erraaa...I'm gonna go get a slice of some wicked pissah pizzer...

Percussion score, sadly, is mostly about the drumline. Surf's drumline was, I'd say, by far the best drumline last year. As for pits, the Spartans had a WAY better pit (and several other corps had better pits too) but their drumline was not as good as Surf's.

Not that I think Surf's pit is bad, but it's lacking when compared to their drumline.

Percussion score, sadly, is mostly about the drumline. Surf's drumline was, I'd say, by far the best drumline last year. As for pits, the Spartans had a WAY better pit (and several other corps had better pits too) but their drumline was not as good as Surf's.

Not that I think Surf's pit is bad, but it's lacking when compared to their drumline.

They made the best of the music they had though, and they sure beat Spartans from a performance standpoint...

They did ok with the music that they had but some spots were pretty dirty. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

You are absolutely right but some could argue that the Spartans had points that were absolutely boring. A pit isn't just about clean notes, it's also about how you perform your show and Spartans, in my opinion, did not even try to do so. It's ok though, the season over and it's time for a new one. I see your point though and I agree to a point :tongue:

You are absolutely right but some could argue that the Spartans had points that were absolutely boring. A pit isn't just about clean notes, it's also about how you perform your show and Spartans, in my opinion, did not even try to do so. It's ok though, the season over and it's time for a new one. I see your point though and I agree to a point :tongue:

Well I can't argue with that. The first time I saw them live I thought their pit was only ok, and didn't stand out at all. It wasn't until I watched them warm up and play their show one day that I realized how insane their book was. I've never seen another open class corps do some of the stuff they did! But you're right, their show was pretty boring, IMO.

To Surf, I will say that they had a really cool pit feature in the second half of their show, but they had a couple really dirty parts (including this tear they had during a quarter note part during finals, ouch!) Also, their technique was not uniform throughout all of the players (although I guess that's hard to achieve for open class pits).

Edited by drumcorpsfan4567

One can't help but wonder exactly what you've seen from other lines so far this year. Are you making the circuit from Memphis to Jacksonville, FL to Nashua, NH to Portland to Concord & Santa Clara, CA... and everywhere in-between?

Don't hate, dude.

Everyone knows that Surf's percussion section is the benchmark for Div II/III (Open Class).

Maybe if you Div II/III guys could figure it out and get more educators like the ones on their staff, it wouldn't be such a shamin' place for kids to march...

Can I get a witness or are there other programs that offer such quality instruction?

Any takers?

Don't hate, dude.

Everyone knows that Surf's percussion section is the benchmark for Div II/III (Open Class).

Maybe if you Div II/III guys could figure it out and get more educators like the ones on their staff, it wouldn't be such a shamin' place for kids to march...

Can I get a witness or are there other programs that offer such quality instruction?

Any takers?

Teal - Almost all of the staff have music degrees and are educators.

Don't hate, dude.

Any takers?

I can't imagine that the people from Jersey Surf would be all that pleased to read this stuff. Smack talking doesn't seem to be their style. are you trying to provoke something, Schlock?

Videos? Considering some corps don't even have music or their lines set yet... hmm...

I saw a video of Teal from their Jan. camp. They look like they may be in the top 5 or 6.

The vid I saw was mostly of the drumline who is playing a lot more aggressively than last year.

Is there a new caption head there or did that big dude get some lessons from Surf on how to write drum parts?