SUNCOAST RETURN!

Just a few quick questions for all drum corps fans, alumni, potential staff and members.

If a Tampa area corporation ( former Suncoast supporter ) was to support a Suncoast Sound return to DCI with some working capital, musical equipment new for all sections, a business Board of Directors in place, new uniforms and transportation to start out of the gate:

a) Would this be accepted by alumni?

b) Who (Director) would be interested in the day to day operation of the corps including staff, support staff, volunteers and adhere to a strick working budget?

c) Would old staff and designers support the corps return and or even provide service?

Public opinion matters to a certain degree thus the post but we are also trying to get genuine feedback from those in the drum corps world that have worked with, supported and marched with Suncoast Sound over the years. Based on this feedback we would then make a decision only if we thought that a "new" Suncoast Sound could only hope to become once again a drum corps fan favorite with a strong competitive desire.

Please respond.

We have lost a lot of DCI corps lately. It would be Genius for Suncoast to return, in whatever form.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have lost a lot of DCI corps lately. It would be Genius for Suncoast to return, in whatever form.

I have had an interest in developing a new organization in the Tampa Bay area of Florida for sometime and have made some attempt at locating those who may be interested in working toward this goal as well. By the way, I am in no way associated with the DCP member who began this topic. I had recieved mixed remarks on the idea of returning Suncoast Sound to the field but starting a new organization up seemed to be the favored idea from some of the Suncoast Vets I did in fact speak with. If anyone would like to speak with me regarding developing an organization or you have any questions please contact me at williambargeron@hotmail.com. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from someone.

William

Edited by wbargeron

a couple of thoughts

1)if you are worried about how original siuncoast alumni will feel, stage an alumni only event. some type of get together where old friends can get to gether and share memories, and also have a chance to get involved directly. is there is an active alumni association, make them an integral part of your efforts. if there isn't, start one up, and make sure the alumni association president is a voting member of your board, one whose input is valued, and who maintains enough contact with other alumni to serve as a viable two way source for communications.

2)don't do anything without having a real plan for long term sustainability. and no, people are around to help and we'll live in a budget and the corporation is willing to help down the road are not legit plans. does tampa have a healthy base of people who can run perennial fundraisers, as well as handling "corps mom" and "corps dad" type stuff like taking care of unis and equipment and rolling stock during the offseason? because if you don't have those people, you don't have a corps. and you can't just say "there are lots of suncoast vets in tamps", you need to have a structured organization and you need to put them through some situations so you can find out which ones you can count on not just to show up the day of events but which are the hard core day in day out grunt workers and organizers.

3)i've worked with several startups before, am currently serving as the senior board advisor for one and am developing a core group to launch another (in the business, not drum corps world). anyone can guess that you need a large downpayment to start up, and operating capital, and people in place to handle the main operations tasks (puttung together a design team, a teaching staff, an office, an alumni association, a fundraising machine, etc.). the one thing a lot of people overlook in startups, something i was taught early and value so much i refuse to work without it, is a proper advisory board. this is critical, absolutely critical. your board will have more power to make or break your corps than any other facet of your organization, and you need to invest a lot of time and care into putting the right people in place. you need to make sure your corporate sponsor has a seat, and is active. they need a dedicated officer of their company to attend board meetings. make sure this is part of their sponsorship package (believe me, they will appreciate the value). as i said, your alumni organization needs a seat at the table. your corps director (obviously), and someone involved deeply in your ongoing fundraising activities also need to be members. you also need at least one person, preferably an accountant, banker, or mba to act as the boards treasurer and give financial advice. don't fill a board without a finance professsional, whatever it takes, find one. and the most important member of your board is your senior advisor(s). find someone who has been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, etc. someone with drum corps management experience, or better yet, someone who has started or resurrected a drum corps from scratch. they will anticipate (and handle) a million problems when they are still small and easy to fix, and they will be a lifesaver to you. you may have some good local guys, or you can use an outside source for help. if you want to, you can probably get in touch with scott stewart through the kilties organization, i dare say he's trained more corps directors than any living human and he may be able to suggest a couple of names. whoever you get, they will be worth the cost of a plane ticket and motel room once a month, in the end, believe me. like i said, i've worked with business startups before, some flew, some dropped like rocks, but the successful ones ALL have a good money person on the board, and a good been there done that active advisor as well. i wouldn't go in without having those two slots filled, and i very strongly urge you to do the same.

a couple of thoughts

Excellent insights! :thumbup: A must-read for anyone trying to start... pretty much ANYTHING!

a couple of thoughts

Agreed, mad scotty has added some excellent thoughts.

Let me add a few things. I agree that Robert W. Smith and Frank Williams are key to the Suncoast identity. I also think that you have to not only invite the alumni to an event, but invite them to be actively involved with the corps. No one knows what it means to be a part of that corps better than someone who's been there. These people need to be involved in the process if you plan on using the name. You may be surprised at the talents and assets that they can bring to the table.

Part of the problem with resurrecting an "inactive" corps is the expectations of the fmms and fans alike. Regardless of where you start, which will probably be from scratch, everyone will bring their own expectations. Some will understand that this is a rebuild and then eventually expect the corps to be what it once was or is now storied to have once been. Some will expect '84 or '88 Suncoast right off the line at the first show.

Careful decisions will have to be made in regards to everything to acknowledge and protect the Suncoast of the past while building on the "brand" identity of that past for the future. It may even be smart to start like the Academy has by phasing up to a full schedule to insure that the membership is well trained and performing at a high competitive level before taking on a full touring schedule.

i truly miss Suncoast Sound. I loved their hornline, their show concepts and their look. I hope that if they do return that all of those things are evident in the new product.

Best wishes in your endeavors, I can only hope that others would watch closely and follow your lead.

Y'all please read the thread...the OP's interests of resurrecting Suncoast Sound has died.

Since this thread was originally centered around that very idea...bringing back Suncoast...and since that corporation has dropped its plans supposedly (and we certainly haven't heard anything from the OP in weeks, as his last post was in early March), I respectfully submit that this thread be closed.

There is interest in starting a new corps in that same region, but that's an entirely different subject and possibly worthy of its own thread.

After carfeful consideration and conversation with Suncoast Alumni and Staff, this project will not happen. The activity itself is very difficult and the politics, Suncoast history good and bad would be hard to overcome.

I thank those that posted comments and suggestions that helped us make this decision. Our focus will remain with the other non-profit organizations we support.

On a personal note, I found it very interesting that some people spent more time trying to figure out where our contribution funds come from and who we represent rather then supporting the idea. This could be the very reason that large corporations keep who they contribute funds to confidential and furthermore limits those other corporations from supporting this type of non-profit effort with so many other great causes to support that don't have other motives. I found the people in the activity working day to day are great people only to have people who don't or haven't spent the tremendous amount of time neccessary to support this wonderful form of youth is the arts.

Special thanks to the following for allowing us to work as volunteers during the 2007 DCI Tour. We were the people that just showed up to help!

The Colts, Academy, Blue Devils and Madsion Scouts.

K. Pillay

Y'all please read the thread...the OP's interests of resurrecting Suncoast Sound has died.

Since this thread was originally centered around that very idea...bringing back Suncoast...and since that corporation has dropped its plans supposedly (and we certainly haven't heard anything from the OP in weeks, as his last post was in early March), I respectfully submit that this thread be closed.

There is interest in starting a new corps in that same region, but that's an entirely different subject and possibly worthy of its own thread.