SUNCOAST RETURN!

Newseditor44 posted:

5. Giving to the Boys and Girls Clubs or United Way has a much greater meaning to the public than if you gave to a drum corps. If a corporation gave to Suncoast, would that give the corporation the "goodwill" it might expect as a result? I don't think so.

What about doing what the Kip's Bay area did with the Boy's and Girl's club?

Why not have some type of drum and bell/ horns ( even recorders ) type thing where any kid that's apart of the Boy's and Girl's club can learn really basic stuff, have fun and have an avenue to explore music and possibly continue onto school band and drum corps in their future. Oh yes and some dance too. This could happen once a week and maybe a special summer program where it's every week day or 2-3 days a week. That would really be giving back to the community and giving kids a creative/safe avenue. I know because I was one of those kids at the boys and girls club in Tampa in the 80's and all we had to do was play pool or listen to some music that kids had no business listening to. It was really boring.

I think something like this should happen drum corps or not. That's how most corps started anyway.

Also after the corps is going for a few years you could make it a requirement for members to teach those kids at least once or twice. They could even get community service credits for college. Everybody wins.

What about someday having a jazz/stage band of members and alumni (or even old folgies that just want to play) that can perform around town and even for old folks homes. Some of them may be the same people that were at bingo in the last years.

I remember in fall of 92 and early 93 when we still had the corps hall that there was a poster with some pics from 87 and 88 and advertised Suncoast Sound cadets, The Suncoast jazz band and a symphonic band. I know Suncoast Cadets happened in 90 and 91 but did any of that other stuff ever materialize?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember in fall of 92 and early 93 when we still had the corps hall that there was a poster with some pics from 87 and 88 and advertised Suncoast Sound cadets, The Suncoast jazz band and a symphonic band. I know Suncoast Cadets happened in 90 and 91 but did any of that other stuff ever materialize?

We started the Suncoast jazz band back in late '83 or early '84. Actually it was made up of mostly Suncoast staff and older musicians. Frank Williams ran it and we practiced at Boca Ciega. We did at least two or three public performances that first year, but I don't know how long they kept it going after that.

edit to add more long forgotten lost memories...

It may have even started in '82. I can remember Robert rehearsing us at the corps hall and Kim Lloyd playing drums.

Edited by Russellrks

We started the Suncoast jazz band back in late '83 or early '84. Actually it was made up of mostly Suncoast staff and older musicians. Frank Williams ran it and we practiced at Boca Ciega. We did at least two or three public performances that first year, but I don't know how long they kept it going after that.

edit to add more long forgotten lost memories...

It may have even started in '82. I can remember Robert rehearsing us at the corps hall and Kim Lloyd playing drums.

Wow!!! there is so many stories and so much info that should be on the Suncoast home page ( hint hint )

What about doing what the Kip's Bay area did with the Boy's and Girl's club?

Why not have some type of drum and bell/ horns ( even recorders ) type thing where any kid that's apart of the Boy's and Girl's club can learn really basic stuff, have fun and have an avenue to explore music and possibly continue onto school band and drum corps in their future. Oh yes and some dance too. This could happen once a week and maybe a special summer program where it's every week day or 2-3 days a week. That would really be giving back to the community and giving kids a creative/safe avenue. I know because I was one of those kids at the boys and girls club in Tampa in the 80's and all we had to do was play pool or listen to some music that kids had no business listening to. It was really boring.

I think something like this should happen drum corps or not. That's how most corps started anyway.

Also after the corps is going for a few years you could make it a requirement for members to teach those kids at least once or twice. They could even get community service credits for college. Everybody wins.

What about someday having a jazz/stage band of members and alumni (or even old folgies that just want to play) that can perform around town and even for old folks homes. Some of them may be the same people that were at bingo in the last years.

We currently support various musical youth groups in the area including programs and the Boys and Girls Club. We also offer scholarship programs for college students for Florida residents.

The Suncoast venture will has a long way to go before a decision is made. Deadline will be May 1, 2008. We are also in the process of communicating with various past designers for Suncoast during the early years and will take all of this information into consideration during this period of time.

We expect good things based on the dialog thus far and will post what we can as we can.

Thank you.

Kasturi Pillay

The Suncoast venture will has a long way to go before a decision is made. Deadline will be May 1, 2008.

You have two full months before the "deadline".

IMHO, that is not nearly enough time to find the answers that you need to do this correctly and with the proper respect to all that were a part of the former organization.

I find it odd that on a visit to the Suncoast Sound website, there is not one single post asking what the alumni think about such a project. In the original post, that is the very first question: "Would this be accepted by alumni?"

Why wouldn't you go THERE to ask them? IMHO, they are the most important individuals that need to be queried. They are the ones that made the corps a great competitor. They are the ones that suffered through some difficult times when another comeback was attempted. They WERE Suncoast Sound.

TWO MONTHS?

Just not enough time to make an informed, well thought out decision.

We currently support various musical youth groups in the area including programs and the Boys and Girls Club. We also offer scholarship programs for college students for Florida residents.

The Suncoast venture will has a long way to go before a decision is made. Deadline will be May 1, 2008. We are also in the process of communicating with various past designers for Suncoast during the early years and will take all of this information into consideration during this period of time.

We expect good things based on the dialog thus far and will post what we can as we can.

Thank you.

Kasturi Pillay

Still waiting for someone to contact me. :worthy:

edit for the smiley

Edited by Russellrks

You have two full months before the "deadline".

IMHO, that is not nearly enough time to find the answers that you need to do this correctly and with the proper respect to all that were a part of the former organization.

I find it odd that on a visit to the Suncoast Sound website, there is not one single post asking what the alumni think about such a project. In the original post, that is the very first question: "Would this be accepted by alumni?"

Why wouldn't you go THERE to ask them? IMHO, they are the most important individuals that need to be queried. They are the ones that made the corps a great competitor. They are the ones that suffered through some difficult times when another comeback was attempted. They WERE Suncoast Sound.

TWO MONTHS?

Just not enough time to make an informed, well thought out decision.

Dear Mr. Sorrell,

I thank you for your opinions and advice posted in this forum but please don't mis-undertand, we intend to do all and much more that has been suggested in all areas before moving forward. The "deadline" is to determine if we move forward based on dialog with various individuals, vendors, management and executives.

At this point we are making great strides with certain individuals and vendors that want to be a part of this project however, this is not the only thing to be considered but will help decide if we are to continue moving forward.

Again there is not much you have posted that we have not already thought about, considered, researched and investigated during this process that has been on going for the past 11 months.

K. Pillay

Suncoastfan,

Tell us a little bit about yourself. You haven't mentioned anything about you or your company. Believe me, I still stay in touch with a large number of alumni and the one thing we want to know is how legit is this whole idea? I am interested, but a little skeptical because if the corps is brought back, it HAS to be done the right way. I also seem to remember that back when the corps had the legal issues with their debt, the name Suncoast Sound could not be used again, although this memory is vague. There are a large number of alumni still in the area but to be quite frank, there are a couple with questionable character that I would not want involved, although who am I to decide something like that?

The bottom line is that I would help financially and physically if it was a legit venture. I don't recognize your name as an alumni...why the love for Suncoast? Fill us in please.

Suncoastfan,

Tell us a little bit about yourself. You haven't mentioned anything about you or your company. Believe me, I still stay in touch with a large number of alumni and the one thing we want to know is how legit is this whole idea? I am interested, but a little skeptical because if the corps is brought back, it HAS to be done the right way. I also seem to remember that back when the corps had the legal issues with their debt, the name Suncoast Sound could not be used again, although this memory is vague. There are a large number of alumni still in the area but to be quite frank, there are a couple with questionable character that I would not want involved, although who am I to decide something like that?

The bottom line is that I would help financially and physically if it was a legit venture. I don't recognize your name as an alumni...why the love for Suncoast? Fill us in please.

Thank you for your post. Who I am is not important but at this time but my position is in community support for our firm. If you read some of the posting on this link you will answer some of your own questions. Other detailed material can not be discussed at this time for obvious reason's.

The Suncoast name can be used as a d.b.a only. I am not an alumni of any drum corps but our CEO was a huge Suncoast fan in the early 80's.

Feel free to PM for more information.

Kasturi