Big girls and movement

labeautevraie

That reminds me of something my dance instructor said: "The floor is your friend. Love the floor!" :tongue:

It sounds odd, but keeping that in mind and using the floor as a springboard, as opposed to a hard surface or obstacle, really did make me feel more like a dancer!

Not so much as a "springboard" per say!

But as a "blocking" tool .................. similar to what gymnast do off the vault and balance beam to put them in motion!

Edited by epwtrguard05

Thank you all so much for the suggestions, I do appreciate it! :D

I will definitely take what was said to heart - I'm sure I've got a lot to work on! :)

Take care, keep on spinnin'!

One more thing . . . and there's no "dainty" way to say this, LOL! :blink:

But this is a posture thing. It's taught not only in dance, but also for people suffering with back/spine problems, because good posture will help alleviate pressure on the spinal discs. Anyways, think in terms of pointing your chest -- yup, your boobs -- upward. (I told you, there's no dainty way to put it!) But by tilting your spine into its proper curvature, that one change does wonders for posture . . . and also dance movement.

Edited by byline

i've learned over time that bad posture can also be tied into self image. bad self image specifically, as well as lack of confidence. doesn't specifically matter for boys, girls, men or women. it applies to all.

It all starts with understanding and strengthening the core. The abdominal muscles and lower back muscles that support your upper body. Not saying you should have 6-pack abs, but work on strengthening those muscles-- pilates, crunches, working on posture, and breathing with your diaphragm are all helpful.

Also-- know which muscles groups you need to use in order to do a movement correctly-- are you using your thighs, your ankles and calves, your glutes? That understanding and knowledge will help also.

i've always wanted to see an entire guard composed exclusively of full-figured,rubenesque performers.does anyone recall comedian mo'nique at the 2007 BET awards when she along with six large-and-lovely backup dancers tore it up to beyonce's "crazy in love".just fantastic!the crowd went beserk! :thumbup:

btw,visionary choreographer mark morris uses dancers with a variety of body types,weights and heights.

Edited by dugg

i've always wanted to see an entire guard composed exclusively of full-figured,rubenesque performers.does anyone recall comedian mo'nique at the 2007 BET awards when she along with six large-and-lovely backup dancers tore it up to beyonce's "crazy in love".just fantastic!the crowd went beserk! :thumbup:

btw,visionary choreographer mark morris uses dancers with a variety of body types,weights and heights.

I remember that performance - she rocked it OUTTTT. Haha. And I think it's awesome that guard is a sport where bigger girls can really perform and be athletic and not be judged for it. I know when I played volleyball I was judged far more harshly since, even though I was quite good, I was large and didn't rock out the short shorts and such the way they did.

But either way, it's good to see a sport that can embrace that. :)