Changing Classes for Regionals?

quegrawks

I looked at the WGI regional schedule from Houston and was surprised to see two schools that compete locally as Open class guards appear as finalists in A class for WGI.

Isn't there a rule about performing in the same class in your local circuit (if it is a WGI affiliated circuit) and in WGI?

I assume your talking about Langham Springs (IO in circuit and IA at WGI) and Klein (SO in circuit and SA at WGI). No, there is no rule on this as there are many guards that compete Sch A WGI but are Sch AA, or AAA in circuit....one this weekend was a Reg A that competed (Bryan HS). Also Cinco Ranch didn't make finals but competes WGI as SA and are SO in TCGC. Also there is TECA guard, Clark HS, that are Open in circuit, but competed in Sch A.

I know Langham Springs is two combined schools, Lanham Creek and Cy-Springs, under Tim Newburn. He didn't want his guards to compete against eachother so he combined them into an 'a' group (that competes IO in TCGC) and 'b' (IA in TCGC). The B guard doesn't compete in WGI. I can only assume it's to keep him and the kids from being at the show from 9am-10pm is the reason his B guard isn't Ind. Reg A.

As far as Klein....I really don't know why other than the fact that it promotes growth in the circuit. I am really pulling for them though at WGI Championships. Great package this year.

I assume your talking about Langham Springs (IO in circuit and IA at WGI) and Klein (SO in circuit and SA at WGI). No, there is no rule on this as there are many guards that compete Sch A WGI but are Sch AA, or AAA in circuit

AAA and AA guards, are technically considered "A" Class as they compete locally on A class sheets. The lower affiliates (Novice, B, Regional AAA, and AA) are set up by local circuits, but by WGI standards are all considered A class since that is the lowest class WGI has.

I was referring to the Open class guards that competed in A class at the regional.

As Ginger said, I know that as recently as 2 years ago, it was not allowed to drop down a class when going to a WGI regional. However, I did not see any mention of it in the latest rulebook either, but I haven't really looked closely.

Wouldn't it kind of make it awkward to go to a critique and say "my guard got an 80 at the regional" only to have a judge say "yea, but it was in a lower class, with different criteria!"

Because, you know, judges do look at those things to see if their neighborhoods are matching what is truly going on around the country.