DCP’ers please read this about Bugles Across America

Tom Day is an incredible man. He saw a need and created a way to have that need filled. Not just in his area, but nation wide.

I have seen the "Operation Taps" thing that has been posted on DCP for a while now and that is a great thing. I have been a volunteer with BAA since 2003. I have kept a log of all of the funerals I have done since I joined BAA. It has been my honor to have rendered Taps for all ranks of service personell from a private in the army up though a captain in the Navy. I have also spent a few days volunteering with a color guard at the local national cemetery. We drove from service to service all day long.

If we don't do this, the only alternative is a recording of Taps being played. Most recently, they use a digital insert that goes in the bell like a mute. Someone then holds the horn up to their lips pretending to play Taps. As with most involved with BAA, I feel this is unacceptable. Even if someone happens to split a note or two, a live bugler is the only way Taps should ever be rendered. The person being laid to rest didn't pretend to serve our country and no one should ever pretend to render final honors.

Volunteering to render Taps is my way of saying Thank You. Thank you for defending those not strong enough to defend themselves; Thank you for giving part of your life to protect the freedom and rights that me, my friends, and everyone living in the United States of America enjoy daily.

The families are very appreciative of having a live bugler and the person being laid to rest definately deserves our thanks by standing proud and rendering Taps live for their final honors.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression that they provide a silver bugle for each service. I was also told the bugle is presented, in it's case, to the family in a case with an engraved plaque on the outside marking the date and the name of the soldier. It may just be a local thing, but I heard this from a music store owner who first told me about the program. Any truth in this? Because I only have a mello, but would love to help.

I was under the impression that they provide a silver bugle for each service. I was also told the bugle is presented, in it's case, to the family in a case with an engraved plaque on the outside marking the date and the name of the soldier. It may just be a local thing, but I heard this from a music store owner who first told me about the program. Any truth in this? Because I only have a mello, but would love to help.

That would be prohibitively expensive. Remember, Bugles Across America is a not-for-profit endeavor. The music store owner is thinking of the American flag and its case, which is what was presented to us by Tom Day, but I don't know if that's done at every performance. They would have to express ship flags and cases around the country and often there might not be enough time.

Well, there is something to the free horn thing after all, but I'm guessing that's for those who don't have an available horn.

Link

Tom Day is an incredible man. He saw a need and created a way to have that need filled. Not just in his area, but nation wide.

I have seen the "Operation Taps" thing that has been posted on DCP for a while now and that is a great thing. I have been a volunteer with BAA since 2003. I have kept a log of all of the funerals I have done since I joined BAA. It has been my honor to have rendered Taps for all ranks of service personell from a private in the army up though a captain in the Navy. I have also spent a few days volunteering with a color guard at the local national cemetery. We drove from service to service all day long.

If we don't do this, the only alternative is a recording of Taps being played. Most recently, they use a digital insert that goes in the bell like a mute. Someone then holds the horn up to their lips pretending to play Taps. As with most involved with BAA, I feel this is unacceptable. Even if someone happens to split a note or two, a live bugler is the only way Taps should ever be rendered. The person being laid to rest didn't pretend to serve our country and no one should ever pretend to render final honors.

Volunteering to render Taps is my way of saying Thank You. Thank you for defending those not strong enough to defend themselves; Thank you for giving part of your life to protect the freedom and rights that me, my friends, and everyone living in the United States of America enjoy daily.

The families are very appreciative of having a live bugler and the person being laid to rest definately deserves our thanks by standing proud and rendering Taps live for their final honors.

You are so right Bob.

I just think of my father, he had three sons that he drove around to drum corps shows for years and he was very, very proud of us. If I just sit back while a veteran who may have served right along side my father gets Taps on a recorded device ... it would betray that pride.

To quote Ronald Reagan: "If not now, when? If not us, who?" The tradition of a fellow American playing Taps on bugle goes back to the Civil War.

I know there's a shortage of players, and it might be impossible to honor every vet, every day... but if we don't show the brass players coming up behind us that this is what we do, then what happens 30 or 40 years from now when these brave Americans who signed up after 9-11-01 reach their 60s and 70s?

..To quote Ronald Reagan: "If not now, when? If not us, who?"...

It's a great quote, but it was uttered back in 1963 by Michigan governor George Romney. (I used to be a George Romney-ite.)

Link

It's a great quote, but it was uttered back in 1963 by Michigan governor George Romney. (I used to be a George Romney-ite.)

Link

Thanks for the correction... I remember Reagan using it in the late 80's regarding immigration.

Thanks for the correction... I remember Reagan using it in the late 80's regarding immigration.

Kind of like JFK quoting Cicero on "Ask not..."

Incredible news!

I just opened a letter I received from Tom Day, founder of Bugles Across America. Mom and I sent him a check from the memorial gifts we had received. In his thank you in return, he mentioned that so far, over 60 people have responded and signed up to be on call based on the DCI.org article (and also from this topic).

I am so VERY proud of all of you. And if any others are thinking about it, please contact Tom for more information.