Working towards Phantom

I've been playing snare for almost a year now. I've marched two seasons. One in marching band and one in indoor for WGI.

I am a pretty decent player and have been thinking about taking it to the next level and trying out for a corps for the 2009 season. I really, really, really want to march Phantom Regiment some day.

My snare tech/battery instructor, who marched DCI, told me that nowadays you usually have to work your way up to get into the top corps that everyone dreams about because they look for experience.

I know that I could go straight for phantom but I really feel that I am not ready yet until I have marched somewhere first..

Is there a DCI corps that has the same kind of technique that phantom uses but isn't as hard to make as them, so I could start with them and work my way up???

Edited by charliebucket45

If I were you, I'd go out to Rockford for Phantom's National Drumming camp (starts may 30th). Then you could learn phantom's actual technique, then practice it all summer and fall, then show up to phantom tryouts in November.

I would do what K-Swiss said. Try to learn and understand their technique. Also, even if you feel that you aren't ready for Phantom, it never hurts to go to an audition camp. Not only will you get one-on-one instruction from the Phantom staff, but you'll also get an "Audition Packet" which is a thick booklet of past and present warm-ups and exercises. So even if you didn't make it this time around, you will gain SO much knowledge and understanding just from going to one camp.

As far as what they look for. Sure experience is great, and you can get that from marching other DCI corps, or by marching an all age corps. But what they really want are well rounded individuals who have the ability to be molded. Don't ever walk into an audition with a chip on your shoulder(and if an instructor asks to you change something with your technique, never ever look at them and say "well this is how I was taught by my old instructor".), because I can bet you anything that they won't ask you to return(even if you're the best one there). Always be positive, eager to learn, own up to your mistakes, and if an instructor asks you to do something out side of your "comfort zone", make sure that you do it right and do it immediately.

Just remember that Drum Corps is an amazing activity. If you're not having fun, then you're not doing it right!