Any truth to this DC urban legend

I remember being told this happened back in the 70's while we were on tour in the midwest. I was there but did not actually see it. The show had a mandatory parade all the corps had to march in during the afternoon. Phantom Regiment did not like the idea, so they went through the parade in their buses, playing out the windows.

This is definetly one of those stories that may have been added to over the years.

Edited by steelcityrabbit

I don't know about Phantom, but Cavaliers did a similar thing in Aurora, Illinois in 1977. It was raining, so we were ordered into the buses and were told we would get out just before the reviewing stand. Somehow, the lead bus driver drove right past the reviewing stand and the two other buses followed suit. We were singing at the top of our lungs as we went past the stand with the windows open. Of course, each bus was singing something different. As we went past, someone said that we were passing the stand and I didn't believe them as I was on the other side of the bus. Then we got to the end of the route and I realized they were correct.

That night—and I'm not making this up—when the awards were handed out during finale for the parade, we "won" the award for best choir. I'm sure there was no award for best choir, but the judges or parade organizers apparently had a sense of humor.

bluecoats did a similar thing one year when our truck broke down on the way to the parade. We all had our instruments with us in the bus anyway - well the horns did. and we got to the parade right at the end so the buses followed the last group and each of the buses decided to play something out the windows. I'm pretty sure each bus played something different too.

bluecoats did a similar thing one year when our truck broke down on the way to the parade. We all had our instruments with us in the bus anyway - well the horns did. and we got to the parade right at the end so the buses followed the last group and each of the buses decided to play something out the windows. I'm pretty sure each bus played something different too.

Ives would have liked that.

Drum Corps + Bus Windows = Lunar Apparitions

[hardly what you'd call a parade entry]