So how'd your parents treat you while on tour?

Fast forward 2 1/2 months and I come home from tour to my brand new car that now has OVER 4000 MILES on it!!!!!!! Are you kidding me?!?!?!?!?!?

OUCH to that! :sigh: She almost could have been on tour with that kind of mileage!

But wait, there's more...

Oh yeah - one summer they used my credit card to pay for their trip to finals (including finals tickets for the family) - plus other miscellaneous things...

But I sure was hot when I came home to find that my $300 balance had ballooned to over $1000!

Totally feel you on this one. The even better part about all the mileage on my car, etc. was that while I was on the West Coast tour I severely dislocated my shoulder and tore some upper back muscles during a final run through in Tulare, CA. That evening I called my mom from the school to let her know what was going on and that I'd probably see a doctor the next day because we were leaving immediately for our next site which was Arvin, CA. She was supportive and told me to call when I knew something. Luckily, I did have my arm in a sling immediately after the incident, but I was still in excruciating pain. Sadly, there's only so much Ibuprofen can do but somehow was able to get my stuff packed and on the bus.

We arrived in Arvin and early that morning I saw a doctor and he told me what I knew he'd say, "Stop what you're doing, you need surgery." I told him the surgery would have to be delayed and asked him how long until I can spin again. He said start slowly in about 10 days and use my best judgement from there. I told him I would do what he said. (I didn't. :laughing:) I called my mom from the doctor's office and let her know what was going on. She asked me where I was again and I told her the name of the high school we were at and explained where Arvin was and that was that.

About three hours later, I was sitting in the stands watching ensemble rehearsal when I see a car entering the stadium parking lot behind us and I think to myself, "That looks a lot like my new car. Weird." And then I see two people get out of the car and start heading towards the field and it's my mom and my younger brother. What!?!? So I go down and meet them in the parking lot to see what's going on. My mom asked me how I was doing and I said I was fine, and then she said that she came to borrow my credit card if it was okay because she wanted to take the family (including cousins) to Vegas and she needed the credit card for it. My mom and dad didn't believe in having credit cards at the time. It's not like I could say no. She's my mom and she's my mom who's very smart and has already promised the trip to my cousins so if I say no I get to be the bad guy.

So I give my mom the credit card, give her and my brother a hug good-bye and watch them walk across the parking lot. And now here I am standing in the heat, in tons of pain, completely p*ssed off and unable to brush my own hair for goodness sake and I get to watch my mom and brother drive off in my new car with my credit card so my family could all go to Vegas and I couldn't even wave back at the bast*rds because I was in so much pain!

How about 'dem apples?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 04, I was in my home state for all of 4 days from May 28th- August 9th. I went on tour before I had a phone so I borrowed friends phones at nights to catch up with the 'rents. They came up to Memphis a few times and met me in Troy, Alabama so I could go home to have surgery on my foot before the final part of tour (it was a scheduled 4 days off before the final part of tour so we can be fresh). They payed for everything, they helped me with everything, they did everything they could do to make it the summer of my life which it was and I thank them for everything.

OUCH to that! :sigh: She almost could have been on tour with that kind of mileage!

Totally feel you on this one. The even better part about all the mileage on my car, etc. was that while I was on the West Coast tour I severely dislocated my shoulder and tore some upper back muscles during a final run through in Tulare, CA. That evening I called my mom from the school to let her know what was going on and that I'd probably see a doctor the next day because we were leaving immediately for our next site which was Arvin, CA. She was supportive and told me to call when I knew something. Luckily, I did have my arm in a sling immediately after the incident, but I was still in excruciating pain. Sadly, there's only so much Ibuprofen can do but somehow was able to get my stuff packed and on the bus.

We arrived in Arvin and early that morning I saw a doctor and he told me what I knew he'd say, "Stop what you're doing, you need surgery." I told him the surgery would have to be delayed and asked him how long until I can spin again. He said start slowly in about 10 days and use my best judgement from there. I told him I would do what he said. (I didn't. :laughing:) I called my mom from the doctor's office and let her know what was going on. She asked me where I was again and I told her the name of the high school we were at and explained where Arvin was and that was that.

About three hours later, I was sitting in the stands watching ensemble rehearsal when I see a car entering the stadium parking lot behind us and I think to myself, "That looks a lot like my new car. Weird." And then I see two people get out of the car and start heading towards the field and it's my mom and my younger brother. What!?!? So I go down and meet them in the parking lot to see what's going on. My mom asked me how I was doing and I said I was fine, and then she said that she came to borrow my credit card if it was okay because she wanted to take the family (including cousins) to Vegas and she needed the credit card for it. My mom and dad didn't believe in having credit cards at the time. It's not like I could say no. She's my mom and she's my mom who's very smart and has already promised the trip to my cousins so if I say no I get to be the bad guy.

So I give my mom the credit card, give her and my brother a hug good-bye and watch them walk across the parking lot. And now here I am standing in the heat, in tons of pain, completely p*ssed off and unable to brush my own hair for goodness sake and I get to watch my mom and brother drive off in my new car with my credit card so my family could all go to Vegas and I couldn't even wave back at the bast*rds because I was in so much pain!

How about 'dem apples?

Just be thankful that they didn't turn your room into an aviary....

How about 'dem apples?

Wow..... just.... WOW.

I'd be like....after a few minutes, "What the hell just happened to me?"

Edited by NeutralNovice

Wow....I would never dream of doing that to my son, or any of my other children for that matter. I don't know if any of my children would ever speak to me again after something like that. Just.....wow!

I'd be like....after a few minutes, "What the hell just happened to me?"

Yeah, I was pretty much in a Vicodin haze.

Wow....I would never dream of doing that to my son, or any of my other children for that matter. I don't know if any of my children would ever speak to me again after something like that. Just.....wow!

I was pretty ticked off for quite some time, but luckily there were no cell phones on tour back then so I could pretty much focus all my energy on getting better so I could get back on the field ASAP. In my mom's defense, it's not like I was an inexperienced kid away from home for the first time. I was a few weeks shy of 21 and on my fourth year of tour. Plus, I had dislocated that shoulder a couple of times before (just not on tour) and she left it as my decision to do what I want. She truly was very supportive of me participating in corps and was/is a great mom. I still love her, I just think she had a down year in 95. :laughing:

How about 'dem apples?

I give. You win! :laughing:

My mom was a high school teacher and my dad was a small college music professor who spent his life (well......34 years of it anyway) teaching the next generation of high school band directors.

They both had some time free during the summers and would enjoy blowing into town for a few days to visit with me during my spare time and catch a show or two. Dad would help out by running support staff folks on errands and my mom would do stuff around the housing like help with uniform alterations and repairs while they were around.

Some of the assorted places I can remember them showing up to see me march include Denver, Scottsbluff, NE (Yes, Scottsbluff - the last place you would ever expect to see your folks turn up out of the blue) Whitewater, Birmingham, and Atlanta. It was kind of cool actually and while they loved nothing more than an excuse to drive somewhere they had never been before, I really appreciated the support they demonstrated in choosing to show up in the places I just happened to be marching. Fact is, you could march in front of 20,000 but unless one or two of them is there specifically to see you, it's just another show.