The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

In '81, over half our music was the same as '80. Likewise for drill and guardwork. And we didn't have to learn 200+ drill sets.

Ah yes, DCI's love affair with difficulty for difficulty's sake. More wonderful "evolution." The '81 Scouts were 10,000 times more entertaining and exciting than any of last year's finalists. But sadly, that's not what it's about anymore.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this has been addressed, but folks who know drums and who have seen the show one of the last two nights tell me whether the numbers for Scouts' percussion seem right to them? I was watching just about a week ago and thought that things seemed pretty strong, but I'm not really a drumline/pit initiate, I suppose.

After hanging out with Madison's Percussion Staff and Line this past Friday in Middleton for their clinic and then show, here's my impressions. First off, I was repeatedly told that presently the feeling was that the percussion line is the strongest section of the entire corps. The "buzz" was pretty strong and positive regarding Madison's percussion. I do know that the statement from the staff was that the talent level had improved quite a bit from last year. My understanding was that the "tom" section had primarily returned from last season and that they had just recently lost one guy due to an injury. But the guy that filled his spot is one of Roger Carters very talented students from California. Roger Carters writing abilities are renowned and I would agree. These guys are playing some "ballsy" stuff! The other thing is that Roger and his staff should certainly carry sizable clout. There's a strong former Blue Devils connection here that knows what it takes. I know it's very early, but if Madison's percussion continues to un-impress in the eye's of the judges, this could mean a very long summer. Roger Carter also shared with me on Friday the acknowledgment that no matter how good, when you have a year like last year it's certainly going to be an up-hill battle......especially with the judges!

Mad75

I'd agree with Mad75 - the tenors are really good already - very impressive. You'd never know a guy just showed up recently - he was already playing the whole show and marching. I think have good techs is also key - watching Casey Brouhard was pretty fun. From what I've heard, he's a great guy - but during rehearsal he is one intense mo fo.

ah! scoops! i knew the snares sounded a little off but i couldn't figure out why...it was like they didn't command a great presence but that must be the reason!

Edited by dcpfan08

When I marched Scouts (1981) we were always the most prepared corp when the season started...which was either the last weekend in May or the first weekend in June. Now the season starts 3 weeks later & corps aren't prepared for the first show? I don't understand the lack of preparedness.

The 2008 Scouts don't have Tom Straken (sp) Screamin' at them like we did in 1981 ! :tongue:

Things have changed alot sence our day. We had maybe 8-10 music majors in the line. We had State Street going with our guard. We would not even think about missing camp for any reason. Our whole life was baisiclly being a Scout.

These guy's now days have so many other committemets. It's just the way our whole world is now, not just drum corps.

We, 81' Scouts, also had alot of guy's in the corps that knew what it takes to be successful. Mad75,Dave Ranthum,Dave Beckmen, just to name a few. Let's face facts here, All but a very few of these guys are learning how to be successful.

These guys can do it ! I have been around them alot for the past 2 years and I CAN SEE IT IN THEM !

Bill

The '81 Scouts were 10,000 times more entertaining and exciting than any of last year's finalists.

I disagree. I find 70s drum corps to be boring. Obnoxious brass playing, messy druming...

It's like comparing a Man O' War to a Aircraft Carrier. Things evolve. They become, wait for it, better.

70s drum corps was disgusting. I respect it for the traditions that it started and what it meant to those involved, but I don't want to watch it in Classic Countdown, and I find the arrogance on here towards newer marchers near toxic choking levels.

I disagree. I find 70s drum corps to be boring. Obnoxious brass playing, messy druming...

It's like comparing a Man O' War to a Aircraft Carrier. Things evolve. They become, wait for it, better.

70s drum corps was disgusting. I respect it for the traditions that it started and what it meant to those involved, but I don't want to watch it in Classic Countdown, and I find the arrogance on here towards newer marchers near toxic choking levels.

You have a very nice drum corps.

Ouch...I guess you we're not there?

The 2008 Scouts don't have Tom Straken (sp) Screamin' at them like we did in 1981 ! :laughing:

Things have changed alot sence our day. We had maybe 8-10 music majors in the line. We had State Street going with our guard. We would not even think about missing camp for any reason. Our whole life was baisiclly being a Scout.

These guy's now days have so many other committemets. It's just the way our whole world is now, not just drum corps.

We, 81' Scouts, also had alot of guy's in the corps that knew what it takes to be successful. Mad75,Dave Ranthum,Dave Beckmen, just to name a few. Let's face facts here, All but a very few of these guys are learning how to be successful.

These guys can do it ! I have been around them alot for the past 2 years and I CAN SEE IT IN THEM !

Bill

Bill,

You and I both know, as much as we adore the likes of Tom Straken, the truth is that in this day and age he wouldn't last one hour in drum corps. Thats because, within minuets, he'd find some poor sole to make an example of and then scream the most profane laden ti-raid that this poor fellas ever heard until he soiled himself, and then he'd get kicked in the "arse" a few times for good measure and then he'd make the kid do push-ups until his arms crumbled beneath him. Then after all that, the kid would get the same laundry list of &*%@$#*&*@% screamed at him again because he just missed his next set because he was to busy doing push-ups!!!! You just couldn't win with Mr. Straken.....but we loved him! You see, today, he wouldn't know how to be cerebral with these guys or hold hands and sign koom-bye-ya. A parent would call 911 and he'd be hauled off to prison for child endangerment. Man I miss that guy because he made me who I am today.

Mad75