The Official 2008 Teal Sound discussion thread!

Man, Orlando was awesome. I loved Teal's show and was quite touched with their closer, Butterfly. This corps is going to get the gold this year.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, Orlando was awesome. I loved Teal's show and was quite touched with their closer, Butterfly. This corps is going to get the gold this year.

Good program, numbers and staff. They will again be in the top three Open Class

1 - SURF - They will have earned it. Bob Jacobs has done it his way and it has worked.

2- Teal close second. Great job Randy

3- Oregon Crusaders - Dark Horse.

Randy has done a very good job bringing them to where they are with numbers but I don't think they are going World Class for another year or so. IMO.

Surf will move up in 2009 and that organization could have supported World Class this summer. While Teal has the performance part under way for World Class they are a few years out being able to fund a World Class corps.

Teal will again be Florida's next and only World Class corps.

JVN

In 2004 when i first heard about Teal, i doubt you could have talked about world class. They have made leaps and bounds over the last 10 years. I think they are ready for world class competition if not next year then 2010. No one is agruing their competitiveness, the financial side might be the only question. I wouldn't doubt hearing about Teal becoming a member before the end of the year.

I hope to see them in Warrenton VA, and I asked the corps director, but if anyone in the corps is reading this now...message me about your housing site for july 31, warrenton virginia. It is not on the website.

In 2004 when i first heard about Teal, i doubt you could have talked about world class. They have made leaps and bounds over the last 10 years. I think they are ready for world class competition if not next year then 2010. No one is agruing their competitiveness, the financial side might be the only question. I wouldn't doubt hearing about Teal becoming a member before the end of the year.

It's interesting that you mention World Class by 2010. Back when I marched, Michael Butler had dreams of becoming Division 1 (now, World Class) by .

However, I would like to see Teal Sound stay in Open Class, along with Surf and others. You can have the quality of World Class and become one of the power houses for Open Class. I'd like to see something like that happen with Open Class, rather than seeing the corps' jump to World Class and stay towards the lower-half of WC. I'm not saying that that is what will happen, but it seems to be the trend.

However, I would like to see Teal Sound stay in Open Class, along with Surf and others. You can have the quality of World Class and become one of the power houses for Open Class. I'd like to see something like that happen with Open Class, rather than seeing the corps' jump to World Class and stay towards the lower-half of WC.

I just don't know how big corps like Teal and Surf can stay in Open Class without figuring out how to get paid. It's been pretty well documented in the forums here that most of the Open Class shows are "round-robin" deals, where the corps don't get any $$ for showing up, unless they sell a few t-shirts.

Unfortunately, open class corps get paid almost zero money for doing shows. Teal goes to these world class shows and makes next to nothing for appearing. Yet the lower tier world class corps get paid exactly what corps like Blue Devils and Cadets get paid. There is a big disparity on the behalf of DCI when it comes to paying these corps for their appearances. Sad. :ph34r:

Unfortunately, open class corps get paid almost zero money for doing shows. Teal goes to these world class shows and makes next to nothing for appearing. Yet the lower tier world class corps get paid exactly what corps like Blue Devils and Cadets get paid. There is a big disparity on the behalf of DCI when it comes to paying these corps for their appearances. Sad. :tongue:

dont balme DCI for the plight of the open class. Every single Open clascorps knew exactly what they were getting into when they decided to start a new Drum Corps. Its not just DCI its life. The better you are at what you do the more you get paid. plain and simple. If you are a star pitcher in the minor leagues of baseball you are certainly not going to make as much money as the starting pitcher for the Red Sox.

dont balme DCI for the plight of the open class. Every single Open clascorps knew exactly what they were getting into when they decided to start a new Drum Corps. Its not just DCI its life. The better you are at what you do the more you get paid. plain and simple. If you are a star pitcher in the minor leagues of baseball you are certainly not going to make as much money as the starting pitcher for the Red Sox.

I agree with you- to a point. It is true that every single new drum corps knew what they were getting into. But- the whole Red Sox thing doesn't really always ring true. There are probably six open class corps that could compete with the lower quarter of the world class organizations. However, in the interest of protecting itself from financial liability DCI requires a five year business plan and a sustained source of income for any application into the elite world class. I also agree with the DCI stand on this issue. I think that organizations looking to make the jump into world class need to take a long look at where their finances are going to be coming from not only for the next several years, but for a long time to come. SLow growth is the best plan of action for any open class corps, regardless of how accomplished they may be on the field. Still, I think that open class corps are getting shafted when it comes to payout. The activity is shrinking (at an alarming rate) and the open class corps that are managing a tour need that extra boost from the "mother organization". Performance fees are necessary for them to continue the path of slow growth. They earn the fees through their hard work and it shows in their performances. You, as a thirty some odd year veteran of the activity should be one of the first to recognize the disparity. Even if you try to turn a blind eye, the disparity remains. Flame away.

I agree with you- to a point. It is true that every single new drum corps knew what they were getting into. But- the whole Red Sox thing doesn't really always ring true. There are probably six open class corps that could compete with the lower quarter of the world class organizations. However, in the interest of protecting itself from financial liability DCI requires a five year business plan and a sustained source of income for any application into the elite world class. I also agree with the DCI stand on this issue. I think that organizations looking to make the jump into world class need to take a long look at where their finances are going to be coming from not only for the next several years, but for a long time to come. SLow growth is the best plan of action for any open class corps, regardless of how accomplished they may be on the field. Still, I think that open class corps are getting shafted when it comes to payout. The activity is shrinking (at an alarming rate) and the open class corps that are managing a tour need that extra boost from the "mother organization". Performance fees are necessary for them to continue the path of slow growth. They earn the fees through their hard work and it shows in their performances. You, as a thirty some odd year veteran of the activity should be one of the first to recognize the disparity. Even if you try to turn a blind eye, the disparity remains. Flame away.

Agreed.

It's somewhat of a "darned if you do, darned if you don't" situation unfortunately.