[becoming a CG] seek for advise - Shopping for beginner

yashiharu

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I know this is kinda late but I'll share my opinion.

You are in a GREAT position for a guard. It may not seem so, because there's not many to help you out, but that just means everything you do will be from ingenuity, not repetitive boring cycles that a lot of scholastic guard get stuck. (I know, I was in 2 such guard myself.)

Get a lot of videos together to spark ideas try stuff. Learn all the basics and then expand on them. In a couple months of determined practice you'll start seeing that everyone is skilled at different things.

Remember that guard is based on a large part from dance, so if you can try and learn a little from a guard or dance instructor (a good one, there is a lot of crap out there.)

How I learned=Practiced my basics so many millions of times that I got bored with it and started try much harder and crazier stuff.

Practice at least on rifle a little so you have some weapon experience, not necessary but it adds a lot.

DRILL DRILL and have fun.

I know this was a while ago and I sure hope I get to hear how everything is going.

I know this is kinda late but I'll share my opinion.

You are in a GREAT position for a guard. It may not seem so, because there's not many to help you out, but that just means everything you do will be from ingenuity, not repetitive boring cycles that a lot of scholastic guard get stuck. (I know, I was in 2 such guard myself.)

Get a lot of videos together to spark ideas try stuff. Learn all the basics and then expand on them. In a couple months of determined practice you'll start seeing that everyone is skilled at different things.

Remember that guard is based on a large part from dance, so if you can try and learn a little from a guard or dance instructor (a good one, there is a lot of crap out there.)

How I learned=Practiced my basics so many millions of times that I got bored with it and started try much harder and crazier stuff.

Practice at least on rifle a little so you have some weapon experience, not necessary but it adds a lot.

DRILL DRILL and have fun.

I know this was a while ago and I sure hope I get to hear how everything is going.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience! :angry:

months passed ... everything is fine~

1) rifle is difficult on stablize the action for me, but it's cool !!

2) flag is fun!!! :thumbup: i'm practising on adding body movement ...

wow!! difficult to handle both at the same time ...

especially foot slide with spinning flag ....

3) rigid body ... i'm trying to attend some dance class ...

but not sure which kind of dance is esp. good for CG ... (jazz?)

I'm still on fire on CG! challenge & fun!! :satisfied:

good luck for me.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience! :satisfied:

I always feel that classical ballet and modern are the best dance classes to attend for CG. Jazz can be good also, if it's not ballroom style (too much stiffness in the upper body usually).

• 2 weeks later...

Modern dance has definitely helped me out more than ballet and jazz. But a lot of it is probably due to the approach of the teachers, and which details they stress.

Glad to hear you're having fun and good luck in the future!