Late Toledo Review

Saw others comment that the Whitmer Stadium is not the Glass Bowl. OK, maybe not, and so??? Would YOUR HS Stadium been capable of holding a Drum Corps show 2 hours after a deluge of Biblical proportion? Many thanks to Washington Local Schools and Band Parents for stepping up!

Gen'l observation of all corps: Extremely talented performers! Ambitious programs! Beware, staffers and programmers of getting this thing to the point where the work necessary to do one of these productions is too much to justify for the ever-shrinking drum corps "season". I have heard some of these kids had nearly a month of "all days" prior to a seven week tour. Seems a bit out of balance.

I hope the Statemen crew is REALLY having fun. It was hard to see it as fun, because they seemed to have a case of "Opening Night Jitters" but I really enjoyed seeing the corps, and seeing a SENIOR Corps is a rare treat in our end of the world. Their show will be a lot more fun to do and to watch as the season progresses.

Pioneer: Nothing to add to earlier reviews, kudos to the older kids for staying with the program, it can't be easy.

Troopers: Loved it, Loved it, Loved it. Sooo good to see them back, and when they get some more guard on the field, they could surprise some people at the end of the night.

Crossmen: Wow! A departure for them, and as much as I loved the old Crossmen, this group is doing marvelous things.

BAC: A BUNCH of book! In every caption. keep the "fireman" away and clean it up. IMO, the best overall portrayal of a theme of the evening.

Bluecoats: Great book, loved the Paul Simon "Boxer", LOTS of potential for improved scoring as confidence increases.

Cadets: Yeehah! marvelous music - very few minor tears in tempo, just amazing, and a peak at "state of the art". And I STILL hate the narration.

Glassmen: I am an alum - so discount this as you should, but this is much improved over the last several years. I am a little concerned the book's use of recurring passages will begin to be annoying, but I really think that will go away as they expand the whole range of dynamics. I am saying if the knob has from 1 to 10 on it, Gmen played from 4-6 only. when they get this range from 1-9 (Nobody permits 10 or 11 now days) they will really have something musically.

I had a good time!

[

I hope the Statemen crew is REALLY having fun. It was hard to see it as fun, because they seemed to have a case of "Opening Night Jitters" but I really enjoyed seeing the corps, and seeing a SENIOR Corps is a rare treat in our end of the world. Their show will be a lot more fun to do and to watch as the season progresses.

Trust me, the Statesmen always have fun performing! That's what we do...ENTERTAIN!

Anyway, I really think the biggest issue was staring directly into the sun! We were the first corps to perform and got the late setting sun right into our faces!! It was unbeliveablly difficult seeing anything, it all looked "back lit" to me. Couldn't see David Bruni (Drum Major) hardly at all unless you were on the #2 side 35 or farther out. The lightning during the afternoon prevented us from getting a run thru, so maybe we were a bit tentative at the show.

Enjoy the season!!

[

Trust me, the Statesmen always have fun performing! That's what we do...ENTERTAIN!

Anyway, I really think the biggest issue was staring directly into the sun! We were the first corps to perform and got the late setting sun right into our faces!! It was unbeliveablly difficult seeing anything, it all looked "back lit" to me. Couldn't see David Bruni (Drum Major) hardly at all unless you were on the #2 side 35 or farther out. The lightning during the afternoon prevented us from getting a run thru, so maybe we were a bit tentative at the show.

Enjoy the season!!

Not bad for the first performance of the season!!

[...

I certainly never thought of that - makes perfects sense! And I really did enjoy the performance - Good Luck this season Statesmen!