Crossmen Style

Take last season for instance. The Crossmen's show sounded like a lot of clips put together in different strands. While this is different, it is certainly a style shift for them. I just can't get over the fact that it sometimes sounds very random, like Symphonic Metamorphosis into Russian Christmas music. I get the idea, but it sometimes doesnt make sense.

I don't necessarily disagree with you...I think he over-arranges at times and is very inconsistent at generating musical effect...but the moments you are speaking about from last year's show make perfect sense if you know what that part of the show was supposed to be about. The corps was obviously going through their own metamorphosis at the time, moving halfway across the country and all. The entire prologue and introduction to the show was all about portraying that metamorphosis...the retro capes, the Pennsylvania flag, the Texas flag, Bones on the field, etc. And musically, those "random clips" were absolutely intentional...Birdland, First Circle, Russian Christmas Music, all interweaving with the Symphonic Metamorphosis stuff. It was all pretty clear to me...old to new, but still the same corps and same spirit.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.yataforluda.com/crossmen.htm

here you can click and read about what he was trying to accomplish with each time frame, Although its not ideal that some one needs to explain to you what they were trying to do, it shows just how much thought he puts into his design with foreshadowing and after thought.

I particularly was fond of the 2007 arragments where at the begining of the show iw as all old crossmen, then as the show went on he introduced more and more "new" crossmen and by the end of the show it was all "new". then the last part had full cirlce quout over the top, kinda like saying "were new but we wont forget our roots" A literal interp of "metamorphasis" was put into the music itself. I just thought it was cool.

One would hope one would not need to do textbook research in search of understanding a drum corps show.

One would hope one would not need to do textbook research in search of understanding a drum corps show.

I did state that it was less than Ideal. But I think that if you were to really watch the show, and pay attention. without reading all he has to say about his thought, you get the idea. Like recognizing hindemith in the opener, or First circle quote than get less and less frequent throught the show. Its esoteric for sure, and you must pay attention, but the ideas are apperent. Especially after 3-4 times of seeing it. Perhaps thats why the GE music scores are down, other groups can get you to understand the idea the first time without to much concentration. And as much as I appreciate guidry's stuff. This is drum corps, not cirque.

I'm not a guy who puts a lot of energy into understanding themes. I don't NEED there to be a theme in order to enjoy a drum corps show, as long as I like the music and it is an exciting production I'm good to go. It is with some irritation that I witness the progression of DCI almost requiring a strong theme in order to be rewarded with a good GE score. Not directing this at the Crossmen really just stating it in general.

I did state that it was less than Ideal. But I think that if you were to really watch the show, and pay attention. without reading all he has to say about his thought, you get the idea. Like recognizing hindemith in the opener, or First circle quote than get less and less frequent throught the show. Its esoteric for sure, and you must pay attention, but the ideas are apperent. Especially after 3-4 times of seeing it. Perhaps thats why the GE music scores are down, other groups can get you to understand the idea the first time without to much concentration. And as much as I appreciate guidry's stuff. This is drum corps, not cirque.

I never looked at it as esoteric. I guess it is in a way.

Actually, my favorite Ronald Reagan moments are when Guidry strays from the "Classical music's greatest hits" approach, and takes a show in his own direction - that's the reason I'm not really a fan of Crown's show this year, and why I can't wait to see what Guidry can do when electronics are added to the drum corps world. So far I enjoy this year's arrangment; I think he does a fairly good job of quoting Holst, but in such a way as to make it part of a new, separate work. I think it could probably stand to be even more indirect than it is now, but I have to give Guidry credit for creating something new while also providing appeal to fans of the old. I think it's a good mesh.

I do give the guy credit for making this show sound different than just about every other Planets show I've heard. He runs into trouble sometimes, however, when it ceases to even sound like the Planets at ALL. Which does occasionally happen in this show, and not just for the Wonderful World stuff (which I still don't completely buy yet).

I said this in the other thread but... Guidry's arrangements will be so much greater when electronics are allowed next year. If you stick to DCI and haven't follow marching bands in the last 10 years then it is going to seem very "new and revolutionary" to you, and I'm sure DCP will be lighting up with people that love it and hate it. But just know that if you fall into the latter category you are a dinosaur; electronic instruments are awesome and nobody uses them better than Aaron Guidry. My opinion is correct on this. Thank you.

Edited by I play the baritone good

I said this in the other thread but... Guidry's arrangements will be so much greater when electronics are allowed next year. If you stick to DCI and haven't follow marching bands in the last 10 years then it is going to seem very "new and revolutionary" to you, and I'm sure DCP will be lighting up with people that love it and hate it. But just know that if you fall into the latter category you are a dinosaur; electronic instruments are awesome and nobody uses them better than Aaron Guidry. My opinion is correct on this. Thank you.

Everyone who doesn't like electronics is a dinosaur. You sir are hilarious.