looking for common release points for rifle tosses

N Murphy

There was nothing wrong with the release points, I'm not sure why he changed them, and honestly, he didn't ask me if I minded the change (I KNOW my kids would have told him how they are different.)

It looks to me like the new instructor wants a tighter rotation on the tosses. In my experience, the higher the release point on a toss, the loftier the toss tends to be. Different people have different techniques, and that's the difference you're seeing here. The thing is, if you insist that the instructor do it "the old way," then it's not going to suit his style. You hire a person for a reason, and whenever a staffing change occurs, that person is going to bring his/her own style and technique in. Either you accept that as part and parcel of the person you hired, or hire a different person who does it the way you want. It's pretty rare, IMO, that an instructor is going to radically change his/her style simply to accommodate what was done previously.

The problem is that most instructors probably don't think these changes are a big deal, and so wouldn't have thought to present that information to you beforehand. This is simply how he does it. You would have needed to ask that question when hiring him to work that out ahead of time.

I remember when I began teaching a high school guard in Madisonville, and their previous instructor taught them to toss out of the left hand. I have nothing against tossing out of the left, and at various points wrote ambidexterity into my work, but predominantly I toss out of my right. So, needless to say, I made that change. The kids dragged their feet and complained, tried all kinds of things to get me to change it back. Even tried to convince me to do double-fast, then flip the equipment into the other hand and toss. Yeah, that would work. Didn't happen. Eventually they learned to do it my way, and do it well.

Edited by byline

• 3 weeks later...

well it seems like he wants the tosses tight....... 5 at ur neck??..... i could do it.. but don't know too many hs kids that could...

this is what i teach

single - hip

double - stomach

triple - nipple (chest.. but easier for the kids to remember)

quad - jaw bone

5 - forehead

6 - top of the head

7 - full extension