Cavaliers 60th Anniv - CAC888

THANKS!!! :thumbup:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in for the Annual Midwest Alumni "Combine."

Wayland, I love doing this but I am SO done after this year. My chops and marriage wouldn't survive. :grouphug:

It's an honor marching next to you.

Hittum' long and straight buddy!

Wayland, I love doing this but I am SO done after this year. My chops and marriage wouldn't survive. :grouphug:

It's an honor marching next to you.

Hittum' long and straight buddy!

I have to believe that my wife is giving way more rope than I deserve to march with the CAC. She is even willing to be a volunteer while we are up in IL and IN in August. I have not gotten the "bill" for all of this yet, but I am sure it will be significant.

On another topic, I have some small "prizes" for the best - loose term with this group - golf group on August 5. I'll give them to you that morning.

wow!

I am marching next to a guy who marched in 1949. It's taking him awhile to get used to the dot system but we are moving him along..... literally sometimes. Bringing guys out of the dress and cover school of marching is tough..... especially when the guys are in their 70's. :grouphug:

We should have an annual All-Midwest Alumni Reunion. Cavaliers, Scouts, Royal Airs, etc. Rehearsal in the morning, picnic in the afternoon, show/concert at night. We could hold it at DeKalb since DCI seems to have abandoned that venue. It would be a great fundraiser for the corps.
THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL!

Oh I would be there for SURE!! And Paul, it would be an honor to get a chance to throw down some rolls and diddles standing between you and my friend Scott McCoy out there. AND the rest of those guys in your great looking and sounding line for the CAC as well!

I've got a few friends who marched in ANOTHER all male reunion project who would throw down as well... and I'd have to override Vince and invite a few guys from some little thing that happened last year out west, too.

Gawd... that would be AWESOME!! :grouphug::tongue:

Oh I would be there for SURE!! And Paul, it would be an honor to get a chance to throw down some rolls and diddles standing between you and my friend Scott McCoy out there. AND the rest of those guys in your great looking and sounding line for the CAC as well!

I've got a few friends who marched in ANOTHER all male reunion project who would throw down as well... and I'd have to override Vince and invite a few guys from some little thing that happened last year out west, too.

Gawd... that would be AWESOME!! :tongue::devil:

The Classic Cavaliers, which was formed two years ago as an opportunity for Cavie alums to get thier chops back in shape for the Anniversary Corps (and for a continuing, fun way for alums to hang out and get to know the "junior" corps guys better) will continue after 2008. Therefore, I suspect the Classic Cavaliers would be up for involvement in a "Midwest Combine" exhibition each year, since we'll be performing several times a year anyway. I don't think the Classic Cavaliers will incorporate drill into their future performances, other than may a move here or there for impact. I do think, however, that the Classic Cavalier "ranks" may be open to a few non-Cavaliers as we go forward, in case we need to fill in any holes here and there and to enjoy the camaraderie of some of our former competitiors who we have maintained/become friends with.

Should be fun.

Six decades of The Cavaliers! What an awe inspiring moment. 77 Horn players, 16 snares and guard equipment flying through the air! Such excitement! Who would have thought that these guys still have IT? I would not have believed it until I saw it with my own eyes!

Congrats Alumni in preserving the drum corps activity as most of us know it.

What do the younger guys think about the Dynasonics and TDRs?

There are two sets of "younger guys." The ones in the Anniversary Corps (who marched in the late 80s through mid 90s) and the guys in the current competitive corps (we affectionately call them the "junior corps" or the "feeder corps").

The younger guys in the Anniversary Corps have enjoyed playing on them quite a bit, though it really does take some getting used to the low, dull, sound they make after playing on the Yamahas. Even those of us who grew up playing on 15" Mylar heads have to really adjust our ears to appreciate the sound quality of the older drums. As much as I don't care for the overall sound of the modern drums, they sure are much more articulate and make the vintage drums sound pretty nasty until you can "seperate" the comparison after a little while.

The guys in the junior corps are very "interested" in playing on them, but a bit apprehensive too. We had a chance to let them mess around on our Dynasonics while we were all killing time prior to the Michigan City parade a couple weeks ago. The sound of the drums threw them a bit, and the much softer response of the heads was an adjustment, but they can play on anything, it seems, so they'll be fine. Great hands (which they all have!) are always the great equalizer. I think they're just excited to be in a looooong line of snares, playing with some old alums, hacking out the old songs, on vintage drums. It's cool for them, but I doubt they'd like to make a habit of it!! :tongue: