DCI Fan Network

I peed and moaned, ranted and raved last year, and posted repeatedly here that I wasn't subscribing this year. I was just gonna PPV the live webcasts if posts here indicated it was working at the time of the show. But they made it so attractive this year that I caved and subscribed, and I feel it's finally, this year, living up to its potential after two or three years of being repeatedly disappointing to me and many other drum corps fans. It's been very reliable this year. And so it's highly recommended. Go to the website of your favorite corps (or the corps you feel is most deserving of financial support) and subscribe to Fan Network from there, and the corps gets to keep half your subscription fee, I believe. You can still log on to Fan Network at DCI even if you subscribe through one particular corps, and you still get everything you would get if you subscribed directly through DCI instead of through a corps.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I had difficulty with the steaming video from Orlando (paid to view just that event), and wonder what the Fan Network membership and the "On Demand" feature is like. How easy is it to watch a video of a past performance? I imagine the files are large and take a long time to download.

Thanks!

It's one of the best things DCI has come up with the last few years in my opinion.

'Watching the videos from recent and past performances ( from as recently as the last show, to all the way back to the early DCI years) is fantastic.

The download is fast too.

Def the best thing DCI has given to the fans in years. Great to see the day to day corps postings. But for us old vets - they have gone back and remastered all the old archives and they look clean as day, load quick and bring backs years of memories. But it now!

Fan Network is amazing!

Definitely one of the better ideas that was executed well (I'm looking at you, OnQ).

I think the only thing that can make the service better is to up the video quality. I would looove if DCI would offer the user a choice of resolutions they can view streams and videos with, that way the people with faster internet can view high quality videos, while still allowing the lower speed internet users to watch streams without buffering for long periods of times by watching the lower res videos.

I love it !! No problems at all. The price is right also. I did not buy the fan network last year because of the high price. Simple to use and looks great on screen. Fan network rules !! :laughing: Rick

Fan Network is amazing!

Definitely one of the better ideas that was executed well (I'm looking at you, OnQ).

I think the only thing that can make the service better is to up the video quality. I would looove if DCI would offer the user a choice of resolutions they can view streams and videos with, that way the people with faster internet can view high quality videos, while still allowing the lower speed internet users to watch streams without buffering for long periods of times by watching the lower res videos.

I'd like it, too, but I understand why they don't, at least for now. Even if it were technically possible for DCI to do what you want, they would have to charge more, maybe several times more, than they're charging now particularly to do live webcasts, which already taxes their capacity to distribute video even in low-res. And they would also be concerned that doing this would cut hard into video sales because some people would cheat, capture the video and distribute it to others. And it causes technical support headaches, because even if DCI does everything right, higher-resolution video is more prone to problems caused after the signal leaves DCI which end-users would blame DCI for. I think part of the reason it's working well this year, been more reliable, is because the video signal is still highly compressed.

Edited by Peel Paint

DCI has hit a grand slam with the Fan Network this year. The technical supporrt has been exceptional. If you really think $69 (I actually only paid $55 as a longtime member of their services) is too much money, figure out how much you spend on coffee, or junk food, or beer. The Fan Network is a huge bargain IMHO. THANK YOU, DCI!!