McKenzie, TN

Anybody attend this show want to give a review? There's a great mix of Open Class and DCA corps here tonight!

OK....Quick rundown of McKenzie show.

Music City Legend - An all age corps that was entertaining and definately wins the hottest drum major award. :) But they over did the screaming high trumpet "ringer" they had standing on the side line. He and another screaming contra player just stood on the side line and played Maynard Ferguson style screaming high notes. The first couple of times it was impressive....but then it just got annoying.

Yamato - I was looking forward to seeing this corps because combining California and Japan just seemed like it could have good results. Well they marched a pretty good show but had no power. I kept waiting for a big "put me back in my chair" moment but it never happened.

Velvet Knights - A definate crowd pleaser. I caught their show in Portland but it wasn't finished yet so it was good to see the finished product. Very entertaining but just not what I personally look for in a Drum Corps show. I was very surprised that they finished sixth, but I believe that their score was the highest they have had this year.

Oregon Crusaders - Obviously I was looking forward to this performance. They seemed a little off their game tonight..had a few spacing problems and also didn't have that "put me back in my chair" moment tonight. I know they are capable of doing that because they have done it to me before. Still, their best score this season.

Revolution - Overall a good show. Nothing super exciting, but nothing really to pick apart either. Nice looking and sounding show.

Vanguard Cadets - Like the new uni's this year!!! Much better. Good show.....One of the Bass Drummers crashed and burned (hope he is OK) but other than that they marched a good solid show. One of their parents sitting nearby seemed to think it wasn't their best show, but it was obviously good enough to take the gold.

Memphis Sound - Watched this corps rehearsing this afternoon and was worried for them. They were having some serious difficulty ( It was probably 110 degrees down on the field though ), but wow! I couldn't believe that the corps I watched in the show was the same one I had watched rehearsing. They did a nice job and being the hometown kids definately had the crowd behind them.

A very warm and humid Tennessee night.....I don't think I have ever sweated that much while sitting still before. Overall my hat is off to all of the corps for a very entertaining evening. I look forward to the rest of the season.