overabundance at finals week?

I think it goes without saying that everyone wants to come out for finals week. Does this mean everyone has more people(staff volunteers) than they know what to do with or can accomidate?

There is no such thing as an overabundance of instructional staff. Volunteers, however, are frequently limited to a set number for finals week. Each corps only gets a certain number of "bracelets" for each show during finals weeks so even if a corps were to overstaff themselves, not all would be able to get in without a ticket.

I think it goes without saying that everyone wants to come out for finals week. Does this mean everyone has more people(staff volunteers) than they know what to do with or can accomidate?

Not sure about some Corps, but INT provides lots of available food and drink for everyone. They have lots of staff there that are ready and willing to be of help. All people have to do is show up, and INT can take care of most of their needs...... ( except maybe housing... you'd have to be pretty desperate for INT to work well for out of towners in that capacity )

Edited by BRASSO

This happens all the time. People come out of the woodwork who have not been around for a long time or ever, and want to join the instructional staff or volunteer staff during the last week or two so they can get into finals week shows for free. Good corps will have set rules about only allowing people who have been there all winter or during the "barren" parts of the summer being allowed to be on the staffs during the final week. They also will keep excellent records of who has helped when and for how long.

The worst thing I ever saw happen in this area was when a few long-time volunteers who had been with a corps for virtually the entire year lost their passes for Finals because the girlfriends of a few techs showed up during finals week and wanted to get in for free. THAT was a very bad management move.

This happens all the time. People come out of the woodwork who have not been around for a long time or ever, and want to join the instructional staff or volunteer staff during the last week or two so they can get into finals week shows for free. Good corps will have set rules about only allowing people who have been there all winter or during the "barren" parts of the summer being allowed to be on the staffs during the final week. They also will keep excellent records of who has helped when and for how long.

The worst thing I ever saw happen in this area was when a few long-time volunteers who had been with a corps for virtually the entire year lost their passes for Finals because the girlfriends of a few techs showed up during finals week and wanted to get in for free. THAT was a very bad management move.

Dude, not cool.

Though, I think this is an inevitable part of the activity, and most corps have some good set standards on how to deal with this.

Not sure about some Corps, but INT provides lots of available food and drink for everyone. They have lots of staff there that are ready and willing to be of help. All people have to do is show up, and INT can take care of most of their needs...... ( except maybe housing... you'd have to be pretty desperate for INT to work well for out of towners in that capacity )

It's always about INT, isn't it? :thumbup: