2008 DVDs/CDs?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In yesterday's DCI Fieldpass podcast, Dan Potter says that the grand prize for winning this week's Time Capsule Challenge is the complete 2008 DCI Media package. It includes all of the Open Class and World Class DVDs and World Class CDs, so not to worry, they are being produced. :worthy:

Phew... that's a relief. Thanks for that. I've always pre-ordered mine before Finals and I got real nervous

when I went to the DCI store and there's no mention of 2008 anywhere.

I've been looking on the site as well the past couple of days.

I just talked to someone at DCI's office on the phone and they thought we might see something on the website just after Finals. They were also not in a position to take any pre-orders by phone, at least not now.

I just went to the DCI store to pre-order the 2008 DVDs/CDs and found that

they are not being offered. :worthy:

I emailed DCI about how we can watch the finals if it's not in the fan package and they said we have to wait for the DVD. WAIT FOR THE F'ing DVD?????????? What's the point weeks or months later. I mean yeah, it will be nice to have, but apparently the only way you are gonna see it on Saturday is live at Bloomington. THIS TOTALLY SUCKS!!

I didn't even give not having finals in the fanfare thing a second thought. Thanks a lot DCI.

I emailed DCI about how we can watch the finals if it's not in the fan package and they said we have to wait for the DVD. WAIT FOR THE F'ing DVD?????????? What's the point weeks or months later. I mean yeah, it will be nice to have, but apparently the only way you are gonna see it on Saturday is live at Bloomington. THIS TOTALLY SUCKS!!

I didn't even give not having finals in the fanfare thing a second thought. Thanks a lot DCI.

This isn't new. There hasn't been any way to see Finals live for years now (unless you're there of course). And while it would be totally awesome to see Finals offered on the Fan Network, I can sort of see the line of thinking for not having it. DCI hopes it will help encourage live attendance at the show.

This isn't new. There hasn't been any way to see Finals live for years now (unless you're there of course). And while it would be totally awesome to see Finals offered on the Fan Network, I can sort of see the line of thinking for not having it. DCI hopes it will help encourage live attendance at the show.

True, but I thought that was the whole point of the fan thing. Heck, I can understand of it were delayed a little, but by the time they come out with the DVD?? Needless to say, I probably won't subscribe again next year.

I can't say that it would've swayed me to go see it live though. It's wait for the dvd or spend a grand going to DCI in the mid-west in the summer.

Warm and muggy with palm trees and the trade winds in Hawaii is one thing. Hot and muggy in Indy, no thanks. No offense to the people who live there, but I've had my fill of that while marching. LOL

That [2008 DVDs in w i d e s c r e e n] would be cool with me . . .I'll take a delay if we can get some widescreen goodness.

I can always play the SemiFinals Fan Network stuff on my plasma and surround sound in the meantime. :thumbup:

Here's a teaser for you. I noticed the TV production truck in front of the stadium in Bloomington yesterday. It definitely had HD displayed prominently in several places. Now the only reason I can think of that Tom Blair's crew would be working in HD is not to produce this year's DCI videos in BluRay, though I suppose that's a more remote possibility, too, but rather to do the 2008 DCI DVDs in w i d e s c r e e n. Let's hope so, anyway.

I tried to get a confirmation more but was unsuccessful. All anyone would say is, "We haven't heard one way or the other."

OK, my mistaken assumption... the "HD" trailer was only there Thursday night. It was gone Friday and Saturday, and Tom Blair's regular production trailer was back. That most likely means that the HD trailer was used to process and/or upload video to the satellite for the cinecast. The cameras were the same as other recent years and did not appear to be HD cameras. DCI was taking preorders for DVDs in Bloomington, but also verbally encouraged people to order online. The online sheets showed the same $99 price and made no mention of what would be included on the DVDs. So now it seems a bit less likely that they may be going to widescreen or making any other changes in this year's DVD format.

As much as all of us with widescreen TVs would like the DCI DVDs to be taped in 16:9, from DCI's perspective, doing so probably increases costs without any corresponding increase in sales or profits. So from that standpoint, in light of everything else that's happened this year particularly with unanticipated cost increases for fuel and food to member corps, they may be right if they've chosen to wait and not do this now.

. . .well, I tend to think that at the very least the DVD's will be available. I don't think DCI is quite confident enough with the VPD format to stop making discs just yet.

I'm sure the announcement for both is right around the corner. Perhaps Mr. Boo can offer more (heh, no DVD's and CD's would mean Mike was out of a job writing liner notes) . . . :worthy:

Well, I'm writing DVD liner notes, so this all would be news to me.

I'm too old to learn how to write VPD notes.