Contrabass Bugle GG Question.

sonofjabba

Does anyone have a fingering chart for Contrabass to read Standard Bass Clef Tuba/Bass Parts

Play any bugle call on your contra. Those pitches are the G, B, and D on the bass clef lines, and the D below the staff. You can figure out the rest from there.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK.... Before this turns ugly... I'll Reword My Question. Or ask for something a little more simple. I know this is a hairy subject and hasn't been talked about much recently. Actually Last I remember this being discussed was on RAMDC. I must be getting old

OKay!!! My New Question

Does anyone have a fingering chart for Contrabass to read Standard Bass Clef Tuba/Bass Parts?

From there I can figure out what I want to do or try.. I had one about a decade ago.. I haven't been able to locate it. I think Paul from (SCV) Made it up for me.

Holy cow! This is confusing.

If you know what notes you want, can't you do the fingering chart yourself? You must know what fingerings produce which tone.

Never mind, I'm getting a head ache.

Holy cow! This is confusing.

If you know what notes you want, can't you do the fingering chart yourself? You must know what fingerings produce which tone.

Never mind, I'm getting a head ache.

Yeah... I know that's why I asked. I've been writing for Tuba and Saxophones.. Piano also But I'd like to play some of the tuba parts on my Contra. I know someone more Hardcore than me has to have a fingering chart it would save me a lot of brain cells... Mine are cooked.......

I know someone more Hardcore than me has to have a fingering chart it would save me a lot of brain cells...

Okay. Get a 3 valve BBb tuba fingering chart off the 'net if you don'y already have one. Then shift all the fingerings down 3 notes. [i.e. use the Bb fingering for the G below it.]

Now, will you come out here and fix my lawnmower?

Okay. Get a 3 valve BBb tuba fingering chart off the 'net if you don'y already have one. Then shift all the fingerings down 3 notes. [i.e. use the Bb fingering for the G below it.]

Now, will you come out here and fix my lawnmower?

Cool that will work.. Actually That will work awesome.. :wink:

Bring it to me.. :D and I'll fix it...

Does anyone have a fingering chart for Contrabass to read Standard Bass Clef Tuba/Bass Parts?

You could just use a standard fingering chart and adjust the fingerings to note ratio by three notes (m3). Where's a fingering chart slide ruler when you need one?

As far as Bass clefs for GG basses. In my experience you use the same fingerings as you would for a BBb horn, because you're reading a part that has been pre-transposed. At least that's how VK did it. But it probably depends on the corps and arrangement(s) in some cases. And in theory bass clef is supposed to be a non-transposing clef(written note equals sounded note). But in practice, not always so.

For a reference fingering a concert Bb on a GG horn is fingered like a written Db (Eb treble). The fingering and partial for an Eb on a BBb horn sounds a concert C on a GG horn. Basically shift the written part up three half steps and use BBb fingerings for the shifted note. I still haven't gotten around to playing a G horn in Bb line myself. So doing it in real time might be a little tricky. I suppose up one line (or space) and add three flats to the key. All sharps and flats are relative to the Eb major (bass clef) scale. Would that be the same as reading an Eb Sax part on Tuba? *cringe*

For a reference fingering a concert Bb on a GG horn is fingered like a written Db (Eb treble). The fingering and partial for an Eb on a BBb horn sounds a concert C on a GG horn. Basically shift the written part up three half steps and use BBb fingerings for the shifted note. I still haven't gotten around to playing a G horn in Bb line myself. So doing it in real time might be a little tricky. I suppose up one line (or space) and add three flats to the key. All sharps and flats are relative to the Eb major (bass clef) scale. Would that be the same as reading an Eb Sax part on Tuba? *cringe*

You Confused the hell out of me..

I'm grabbing a Spare mouthpiece/my iPod with my iTalk pro and a Tuba Part. I'll hammer away.. I need the practice...

Saxes come in many Sizes and Shapes And Keys. Alto/Baritone/Contrabass (Eb) Soprano/Tenor/Bass (Bb) They get transposed Treble clef parts. Unless you're playing a C-Melody Sax.... Then you're in C... I hope I confused the crapoutta you too! I've tried them all Except the Contrabass sax.. Bass is Cool.. I like my Baritone Better. Bass Saxophone players tend to use Euphonium/Baritone Bb Treble Clef Parts. So Technically.. You could use Tenor/Bass Sax Parts on Bb Tuba. with the Bb Euphonium Fingerings... I think... LMAO..

I love Sibelius with the Transposing score button.. You put all the stuff in concert pitch and Bang instant Transpose.. :wink: I just would like to play my Contra on some of these tuba Parts. I never tried it after all these years.....

Edited by sonofjabba

I've been playing Treble Clef Contra Forever. I know there are Bass Clef Contrabass (GG) Players out there. I play Bass Clef on my Tuba.

My Question is are the Bass clef Contrabass Parts written like most tuba parts (Non Transposing) Played as Written Meaning you can use a standard tuba part on the Bugle when written in Bass Clef, and Can I get my Mits on a Bass Clef Fingering Chart? Technically the Fingering Chart would Be Transposed

Or I might be Just thinking way too hard....... :wink:

Yeah. You're thinking too hard. Just reading the replies is waaayyyy too much for me.

That's Left Coast style --- transposing up a m3 from concert key so that tuba players can use their BBb (school band) fingerings.

When we do a massed-hornline number at DCA, we have to supply contra parts in 3 different transpos --- plus now, a BBb tuba part.

Many East Coast G lines learned Skyliner Clef. The bass clef part was transposed up a p4 from concert key. They were actually using CC fingerings (with fewer valves) but probably didn't realize it. The advantage is that everyone is using the same pitch name and fingering for a unison. Most of the players did not have a band background, and had started on some other bugle where the open fundamentals were written as a C harmonic series.

But until the 3-valve G era, the rest of the activity usually notated contrabasses in transposing treble. Everything in the hornline fingered the same (except French Horns).

A few MidWest lines in the early 60s (Royal Airs, Skokie Vanguards) were notated in concert pitch.

But it all really didn't make any difference once the fingerings were written on the music !!!

I never heard it called "Skyliner Clef", but that would be your "tribute" to Hy.

The only finger the frenchies need is the middle one (i.e. second valve). :wink:

You Confused the hell out of me..I just would like to play my Contra on some of these tuba Parts.

Okay. Use your notation progtam. "Do the math".

1. Enter the tuba part as it is usually written. Bass clef, concert key.

2. Change the part to a G instrument, i.e. alto flute.

3. Transpose the whole part up two chromatic octaves.

4. Change the clef to treble.

You now can play the tuba part on your contra, it will be in standard TC drumcorps notation for G bugle.