Contrabass Bugle GG Question.

sonofjabba

I've been playing Treble Clef Contra Forever. I know there are Bass Clef Contrabass (GG) Players out there. I play Bass Clef on my Tuba.

My Question is are the Bass clef Contrabass Parts written like most tuba parts (Non Transposing) Played as Written Meaning you can use a standard tuba part on the Bugle when written in Bass Clef, and Can I get my Mits on a Bass Clef Fingering Chart? Technically the Fingering Chart would Be Transposed

Or I might be Just thinking way too hard....... :tongue:

Edited by sonofjabba

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's different everywhere, which is one of the problems I've always had with writing contra parts in bass clef. Some do it for BBb fingerings, some for CC, others in actual bass clef.

It's different everywhere, which is one of the problems I've always had with writing contra parts in bass clef. Some do it for BBb fingerings, some for CC, others in actual bass clef.

Actually All Bass Clef Tuba Parts are Written in Bass. Reason you can use an Upright Bass Part for Tuba.... They aren't transposed like you would a Treble Part.

The Notes are the same. Just the Fingerings are the only difference for BBb, EEb, CC, F or whatever Tuba Variation you fancy.... At least in my experience that's how I've found it... But I want to see if that Theory holds for the Bugle.

All of the bass clef parts for G Contra (that I have seen) are written for bass clef tuba players to be able to finger (down a M2, add two flats).

In other words, a Treble Clef C would be written as a Bass clef Bb and fingered as an open note.

Actually All Bass Clef Tuba Parts are Written in Bass. Reason you can use an Upright Bass Part for Tuba.... They aren't transposed like you would a Treble Part.

The Notes are the same. Just the Fingerings are the only difference for BBb, EEb, CC, F or whatever Tuba Variation you fancy.... At least in my experience that's how I've found it... But I want to see if that Theory holds for the Bugle.

But that's not what I'm saying. I know all bass clef tuba parts are non-transposing, what I'm saying is that corps that try to write contra parts in bass clef use all different techniques, and it's this confusion that is part of my opposition to its use.

All of the bass clef parts for G Contra (that I have seen) are written for bass clef tuba players to be able to finger (down a M2, add two flats).

In other words, a Treble Clef C would be written as a Bass clef Bb and fingered as an open note.

That's Left Coast style --- transposing up a m3 from concert key so that tuba players can use their BBb (school band) fingerings.

When we do a massed-hornline number at DCA, we have to supply contra parts in 3 different transpos --- plus now, a BBb tuba part.

Many East Coast G lines learned Skyliner Clef. The bass clef part was transposed up a p4 from concert key. They were actually using CC fingerings (with fewer valves) but probably didn't realize it. The advantage is that everyone is using the same pitch name and fingering for a unison. Most of the players did not have a band background, and had started on some other bugle where the open fundamentals were written as a C harmonic series.

But until the 3-valve G era, the rest of the activity usually notated contrabasses in transposing treble. Everything in the hornline fingered the same (except French Horns).

A few MidWest lines in the early 60s (Royal Airs, Skokie Vanguards) were notated in concert pitch.

But it all really didn't make any difference once the fingerings were written on the music !!!

I think (from the explanations above) that I've seen primarily this "Skyliner Clef."

In other words: the written notes of C G C E G etc. are all played open whether I'm reading them in treble clef or bass clef.

Wow.

:wink:

I think (from the explanations above) that I've seen primarily this "Skyliner Clef."

In other words: the written notes of C G C E G etc. are all played open whether I'm reading them in treble clef or bass clef.

EGAD !! Is it just a Kanstul thing or what? My mellophone works the same way. This is really gettin' SCARY.... :wink:

OK.... Before this turns ugly... I'll Reword My Question. Or ask for something a little more simple. I know this is a hairy subject and hasn't been talked about much recently. Actually Last I remember this being discussed was on RAMDC. I must be getting old

OKay!!! My New Question

Does anyone have a fingering chart for Contrabass to read Standard Bass Clef Tuba/Bass Parts?

From there I can figure out what I want to do or try.. I had one about a decade ago.. I haven't been able to locate it. I think Paul from (SCV) Made it up for me.