Could 1989 Vanguard Show Win Again?

First, let me apologize if this has been asked already. I couldn't find it in a search...

I was perusing some old videos on the Fan Network today, and I found (and watched) Santa Clara's 1989 Phantom of the Opera show. In my opinion, this remains the best drum corps show of all time!

If they were to bring this show back, how do you think they would fare today?

My opinion - the drill is amazing, the drumline and hornline (other than a couple of soloists) was flawless, the music is timeless, and the overall effect was breathtaking. If I were judging, I would have to spot them near the top (of course, I understand nothing about the judging process :smile: ).

Edited by KeyboardGuy

I didn't even think they should have won that year. They were very good (although I never really liked corps repeating entire shows), but Phantom's "New World" show was fantastic.

First, let me apologize if this has been asked already. I couldn't find it in a search...

I was perusing some old videos on the Fan Network today, and I found (and watched) Santa Clara's 1989 Phantom of the Opera show. In my opinion, this remains the best drum corps show of all time!

If they were to bring this show back, how do you think they would fare today?

My opinion - the drill is amazing, the drumline and hornline (other than a couple of soloists) was flawless, the music is timeless, and the overall effect was breathtaking. If I were judging, I would have to spot them near the top (of course, I understand nothing about the judging process :smile: ).

I have no idea how the judges arrive at the placements for Corps they do now. So asking how '89 SCV would do if thrown into the mix , I wouldn't have a clue.

But for entertainmement value, it certainly hasn't lost it's appeal for many people, despite the passage of time.

Edited by BRASSO

In a word... No.

Todays drum corps is completely different to back then (when I marched). In my humble opinion THAT Vanguard corps would place somewhere around 10th this year. It's not that they weren't good, it's just that the activity has evolved so much since then. I was a lead baritone player for a Top 12 corps but I am not so sure I would even MAKE a hornline by todays standards.

I think when we look back on corps we should appreciate them for whet they were in their era. The 1989 Santa Clara Vanguard was a fantastic corps for 1989. They were the top of the heap. I loved their show then and still do now. But i dont think they would won now anymore than the 1979 Blue Devils would have won in 1989, Different eras, different standards.

I agree. A show designed more than a few years ago would not win today. It has to look fresh to score well with judges. The difficulty (marching velocity and playing and guard demand) wasn't nearly as high in 1989 as it is today, either.

I agree. A show designed more than a few years ago would not win today. It has to look fresh to score well with judges. The difficulty (marching velocity and playing and guard demand) wasn't nearly as high in 1989 as it is today, either.

True. And we would not see a show designed like this and brought to the field here in 2008 like this '89 SCV production either.

The judging system from 1989 to 2008 has evolved and changed as well. This show would be handicapped because of it's relative lack of demand and complexity and would get hammered under the current judging reward system. Particularly the Guard and the Visual captions

So in terms of pitting this '89 Corps with todays Corps under the current judging system that would be a little unfair to this '89 Corps production.

But for entertainment value, well that's a personal and subjective preference and people can decide that for themselves.

Edited by BRASSO

Thanks for your responses. I'm afraid that some corps today sort of "out complexity" their abilities, so fans are left scratching their heads and saying "HUH?!?! Or, they try to make "statements" where none are neccessary. To me, this was the perfect blend for the perfect show.

Although it might not make it today, it remains, in my mind, a beautifully conceived and executed work of art.

Edited by KeyboardGuy

1989 SCV was pretty audacious in terms of velocity for it's time but I agree that it would not even threaten the top 6 or 8 corps today.

Coming from the perspective of a brass player, I actually liked SCV's 1988 as a 'better listen'.

My opinion - the drill is amazing, the drumline and hornline (other than a couple of soloists) was flawless, the music is timeless, and the overall effect was breathtaking. If I were judging, I would have to spot them near the top (of course, I understand nothing about the judging process :worthy: ).

The drill was "amazing" because it was 1988's for the most part. The two holes they marched finals night were distracting to the visual process but somehow didn't affect GE.

Listen to Phantom's hornline before you use a word like "flawless." SCV was splatty and had two major ensemble tears. PR's hornline was one of DCI's best ever. Ironically, SCV's 0.5 spread over Phantom in DRUMS won it for them. Plus, that 6-man judging system was a complete joke. It lasted only two years. With this current system, Phantom could have won.

Edited by YoostaMarch

Thanks for your responses. I'm afraid that some corps today sort of "out complexity" their abilities, so fans are left scratching their heads and saying "HUH?!?! Or, they try to make "statements" where none are neccessary. To me, this was the perfect blend for the perfect show.

Although it might not make it today, it remains, in my mind, a beautifully conceived and executed work of art.

I agree with you.

But some people were saying the same thing back in the late 1980s, not about Vanguard's show that year, but about others, and it became a growing complaint in the early 1990s as pushing the envelope with difficulty and concept became increasingly important to scoring well.