Cadet Corps Question

You have it right, but there are some older kids in the corps.

The top two corps in OC this year were 'cadet' corps- SCVC and BDB. What is the make-up of these corps? Is it primarily high school kids, are there kids who are older and couldn't make the A corps? I have no experience with these corps so I'm curious. Thanks.

Colt Cadets are also in Open Class, so there are three current 'Cadet' corps competing in Open Class, and a few other groups that aren't competitive around the country (like Blue Star Cadets, and possibly some others)

Colt Cadets are also in Open Class, so there are three current 'Cadet' corps competing in Open Class, and a few other groups that aren't competitive around the country (like Blue Star Cadets, and possibly some others)

Yeah, I didn't mention Colt Cadets in my original thread. I'm actually more familiar with them than BDB and SCVC.

Here's why my question came up. DCI.org had a link to an article about one of SCVC's DMs, who graduated HS in 2006, which would make him 20. I also seem to remember some pictures from the age-out ceremony with people in BDB uniforms. Obviously an Open Class corps can have the same age make-up as a World Class corps, but since these are "cadet" corps, I figured there would be some sort of age limit.

I marched in BDB 2007-2008,

we had members ranging from ages 13-21 this year. We had two age outs.

We are primarily made up of high school kids.

The instructors who teach at BDB also teach at our high schools, consequently, learning about DCI through them.

It's through the high schools they teach at where the main percentage of BDB comes from.

If you are looking for the older portion of our corps, look to our snare, bass, and tenor line...they are mostly at college age.

The other corps members are either kids of BDA parents, started in BDC, or from outside of California (we had one from Utah march guard this year).

This year, BDB had it's first full hornline.

Hopefully this clears up the fog around Open Class and BDB

I marched in BDB 2007-2008,

we had members ranging from ages 13-21 this year. We had two age outs.

We are primarily made up of high school kids.

The instructors who teach at BDB also teach at our high schools, consequently, learning about DCI through them.

It's through the high schools they teach at where the main percentage of BDB comes from.

If you are looking for the older portion of our corps, look to our snare, bass, and tenor line...they are mostly at college age.

The other corps members are either kids of BDA parents, started in BDC, or from outside of California (we had one from Utah march guard this year).

This year, BDB had it's first full hornline.

Hopefully this clears up the fog around Open Class and BDB

First, congratulations on you season, and secondly thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Let me ask further, does the BDB corps act like a feeder corps for the A corps since there are older kids there, or is it more of a separate deal?

Edited by Latrobe's Finest

First, congratulations on you season, and secondly thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Let me ask further, does the BDB corps act like a feeder corps for the A corps since there are older kids there, or is it more of a separate deal?

We do act like a feeder corps. When BDB members feel ready, they go to tryouts for A corps.

This past year we had half of the '07 BDB colorguard make the '08 BDA guard

We had 5 '07 BDB hornline make BDA this '08 season.

Remarkably, none of the '07 BDB who made the '08 A corps season are aging out.

Good Luck to them in their '09 season

We do act like a feeder corps. When BDB members feel ready, they go to tryouts for A corps.

This past year we had half of the '07 BDB colorguard make the '08 BDA guard

We had 5 '07 BDB hornline make BDA this '08 season.

Remarkably, none of the '07 BDB who made the '08 A corps season are aging out.

Good Luck to them in their '09 season

Cool, thanks for the info!

yeah i marched bdb 2nd baritone this year...and im 15 years old. we had a fairly young corps this year :P

young with potential to improve is the key...some of our members will definitely make A corps soon

haha...just so we don't regurgitate the same info...this is Clarence

QUICK CORRECTION

One '08 BDA from BDB aged out this year...i forgot cause he is on their bassline

Edited by blueazn17