Looking for PA corps.

yea ur gonna hafta travel but i personally think u shold give surf a try...

A couple of hours is nothing.

In '80 my hometown corps travelled alot, but was a baton corps that did not use horns, although our tenor line was pretty good that year!

'81 my local class A corps, Gen. Putnam's men, was a 45' commute.

'82 was a bus trip from NW Ohio to Racine, 290 miles. My first experience giving up the whole summer to march, and that was a class A corps with TONS of traditon.

'83 was about 7 1/2 hours, from NW Ohio to Dubuque. Once a month, moved out in May.

'84 was a flight from Lousiana, where I was in college, to Long Beach, CA. Same for '85. Moved in after spring sememester ended.

'86 was a flight from Toledo to San Jose, CA. HAD to move in after I played my junior recital and winter quarter ended, in March. Almost never came back to Ohio State!

I now fly twice a month from Milwaukee to Newark, but I get to wear a pretty righteous uniform and play in a brilliant hornline. :blink:

vkbignoise.jpg

So no, two hours is nothing, especially for a corps as good as Jersey Surf!

You might want to try several corps and see which one fits YOU the best. Every corps is different, in show design, work ethic and experience. Just because a corps is smaller or not at a world class top 5 level, does not mean that it would be the perfect fit for you. I was in corps and still am in corps, for the education and learning aspect. The staff make a big difference in the end, but you will find that out as you go to camps and "audition".

Good Luck!

Edited by BigDale

Im looking for a drum and bugle corp to possibly try to get into for the next season. I will be graduating this year and im looking for a corp to marching with. Im not really cadet material and the bucaneers are too far away. I live 2 hours east of Pittsburgh. Does anyone have any ideas of some corps. Id really appreciate it.

You're probably less than 5 hours from Bluecoats.

You're probably less than 5 hours from Bluecoats.

2 hours east of pittsburgh would make it about 3.5 hours to Bluecoats.

You're probably going to have to travel a bit any way you slice the pie. If you don't think the Cadets are your cup of tea, then Jersey Surf and Blooo are probably your best bet. Besides, after you report to spring training you probably won't be home until the end of the summer anyway. If you want to go the DCA route then it sounds like the Bucs are your best option.

2 hours east of pittsburgh would make it about 3.5 hours to Bluecoats.

Geez Louis Phil, how fast do you drive? :blink: I work in Monroeville (East side of Pittsburgh) and it took me 2-1/2 hours to get to Canton. Add another 2 hours for him and that would be 4-1/2 hours. MAYBE subtract at most a half an hour because I work in East Pittsburgh. But that's still 4 hours, at least.

The Raiders are another possibility that may work for you. Although we're a little farther away, we have members from PA and may be able to set up a car pool. I just finished my first season there on the support/admin staff and I can tell you that I truly enjoyed being a part of this team.

Keep an eye on their website: http://raidersdbc.org for info about the upcoming season.

Alice Krumenaker

Go after what you want to do and have fun. I don't think there are any corps out there that don't have "implants" from another state or country for that matter. Making the decision to join Drum Corps, any corps, is a good one. The experience alone is worth millions. If you don't think you would like Cadets, but want to be in a World Class Corps, I can't think of any better than Bluecoats for where you are located. Maybe go south to check out Crown too. If you've never been to the West Coast, maybe now is a good time and come check out the new, re-born, on their way back up, VK!!!