MalletKATs

My old college band has 3 MalletKATs in their pit this year. I think these things are amazing and can virtually do anything besides wash the dishes. I'm not sure if they are legal in DCI yet, but I can't imagine it would be too long before we see a few roll up on the sideline. Could you imagine a "grand piano" or "harp" sound coming from the amps on the sideline during a Cavies show? I'm sure there are purists out there that don't want to hear it....but I'd rather hear these than "talky talky" anytime.

http://www.malletkat.com/

I can't wait until MalletKats hit the field for drum corps. I've heard and seen them over on the field for marching band over the past few years at the Regional and Grand National level at BOA and I love them...especially by the upper echelon bands--moat notably Ronald Reagan HS, TX during their 2001-2005 years.

GREAT instrument.

I went to Churchill HS in San Antonio and I believe they got their first MalletKAT in 1999. They're cool I guess, but we had lots of problems with ours from being out during rehearsals and shows in the rain.

*shrug*... it never sounded real to me. It sounded electronic, but I guess that's what some people want nowadays. It was fun to put it on the machine gun sound and mess around during football games though. :tongue:

I have the Zappa Plays Zappa DVD. Dweezil Zappa and his band playing Frank's music.

Anyway, the "pit" guy in the band has a vibraphone in front of him and one of these things mounted above it for marimba and other effects. Personally, I think it sounds really good.