Tom Aungst Tenor Hybrid

Tyler C.

I just purchased two pairs of them, based on Vic Firth's product showcase video, and a few reviews on the website I bought them on. Does anyone here that's used them have any personal opinion about them, good or bad?

I've never heard of these ones before. I used the use Tom Aungst signature sticks when I first started playing. Not sure if there's a specific name for them. They're the brown ones

I'll have to check these sticks out and give them a try

I've never heard of these ones before. I used the use Tom Aungst signature sticks when I first started playing. Not sure if there's a specific name for them. They're the brown ones

I'll have to check these sticks out and give them a try

I think they are a great implement! Particularly for indoor or softer outdoor.

I find they are much better for small config tenors due to the shortness of the shaft. The bead is fantastic. There is a difference between Corps use and high school use however. If you have 4-5 players that are all strong, it could serve as a "main" choice. for your average high school line with 1-3 beggining-intermediate players, you may want to go with an aluminum shaft and larger head for projection and depth.

They get great rim shot sound also without having to use a stick!

I find they are much better for small config tenors due to the shortness of the shaft. The bead is fantastic. There is a difference between Corps use and high school use however. If you have 4-5 players that are all strong, it could serve as a "main" choice. for your average high school line with 1-3 beggining-intermediate players, you may want to go with an aluminum shaft and larger head for projection and depth.

I think I might buy these sticks. My MT1A's broke so I was using my Ralph Hardimon Tenor sticks which I don't like. I'm going to buy these because we also have the small set of tenors.

One thing these are great for is high school bands with a larger drumline and small/young hornline. The slightly softer articulation and slightly less projection keeps from overpowering the horns.

We have a pretty small band, I think around 60 people. 3 snares, 4 basses, 3 cymbals, and 2 tenors (Me and my twin brother)

I'm the only tenor player in a band of a little over 70, I think around 40 winds. My main goal is a stick that will allow me to move around the drums faster than the Hardimon snare and/or tenor stick. If projection becomes an issue, I'll simply use the Hardimon tenor stick, but I need a stick better suited for faster sections. I was commissioned to write the percussion feature, and my director's design of what she wanted included a part where i bust into a random (but scripted) tenor solo, and the band eventually yells at me to shut up, so i scramble back in line and count off so we can finish the rest of the piece. The Hardimon tenor sticks won't allow me to get around as fast as I'd like, so i bought the Tom Aungst hybrids because two of the benefits advertised is being able to move around like a tenor mallet, but getting the articulation of a snare stick....

We have a pretty small band, I think around 60 people. 3 snares, 4 basses, 3 cymbals, and 2 tenors (Me and my twin brother)

The group I'm working with right now has the same numbers in the drumline, and is also right around 60 total, and the hybrids seem to work out really well.

The group I'm working with right now has the same numbers in the drumline, and is also right around 60 total, and the hybrids seem to work out really well.

I think I'm going to purchase the Hybrids online when I get paid tomorrow.

I'm also going to buy a Tenor pad to start practicing more than just at band practice. I realize that I want to try out for a corps. I'm only 16 now so I'm gonna start working a lot harder.

The hybrids are soooooo good. i play faster and my sweeps are 100% better. i liek the feel of them kuz its kinda like the vegas but they also havethat mallet feel as well. best buy ever