Shouldn't they be better than the real world?

You are correct - I totally mistyped that and I could not possibly even speak to the fact that most drum corps are not doing right by the kids. That was wrong and I apologize for making that blanket comment.

I took that in the context of your entire writings, and I knew what you meant. I think you have a good heart.

Attention Trolls: Yes, I'm being judgmental. :thumbup:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it unfair? And how can you say who is and who is not qualified to judge?

You sound young. Maybe there is some drum corps history with which you are not familiar. If you ask, maybe some of the "old timers" can fill you in.

Just be aware that when you ask these old people, every story starts out with "back when I marched everything was better..." :thumbup:

#1 - It's unfair because the purpose of the whole existence of drum corps has changed since the turn of the 20th century. Not to mention the fact that since the origins of drum corps, the activity (and oh yeah, THE WORLD) has experience seismic changes that nobody could have even dreamed of back then. We're dealing today with what is essentially an entirely extra-curricular (for lack of a better word) entertainment-based competition. No longer the real of meaningful ties to the military or service posts or church groups. It's an entirely different activity now than it was back then. Not necessarily better or worse, but most definitely different. To state flat-out that today's drum corps do not epitomize what drum corps initially stood for ignores the amount and scope of those seismic changes. It is also an activity-wide insult to today's drum corps, lumping everyone into the same boat, painting every corps with the same brush...stated by someone who has NON-direct experience in the activity. Any way you slice it, it is not a fair statement to make.

#2 - I am 37 years old and have been directly involved in drum corps for my entire adult life and much of my youth. And while I will be the first to admit that I am not the end-all be-all of drum corps information or knowledge, I am fairly certain I don't require anyone, least of all you, to lecture me on drum corps history or where to learn more about it. I am more than capable of satisfying my own personal quest for knowledge on this amazing activity, and strive to do so routinely. And for the record, I am NOT one who believes that everything "back in the day" was superior. I'm pretty progressive in my tastes, not afraid of the activity venturing into new waters. I'm also confident that the drum corps experience, while not perfect in all cases, surpasses the "general standard" in this country. Shouldn't they be better than the real world? THEY ARE. Let's work on the real world FIRST. Most assuredly, whatever problems drum corps has will better be solved by addressing those real world problems, which far outweigh anything going wrong in this little sphere of existence.

since the author of a thread can indeed request that it be closed, i have reported that request to the administrators through use of the report button....

Jeez, that's awful presumptuous of you. Ms. Crown1 sounds like a grown woman. Do you really think she needs you to report something for her? :lol:

If she changes her mind and has something more to say, will you then report to the admins to keep the thread open for her a little longer?

I have a strong feeling Ms. Crown1 can take care of herself. :thumbup:

Closing at the author's request.