New Era

With all the recent designers and caption heads resigning there will be a lot of openings. Somebody in the Saucedo thread made a point of is this a time for new designers/caption heads.

Then I got to thinking about the recent replacements. Phantom Regiment this year got a brand new young designer, and a lot of people were very worried about that. Vanguard replaced Myron after the 2005 season, Wayne Downey stepped down from brass caption in 2007 (I think), and Augunst is out for Cadets.

Is this something we could expect to see a lot of in the next 2-3 years?

Thoughts.

There is a ton of talent that emerges every year in the teaching front. We, the DCP self-proclaimed experts, seem to doubt every move that takes place in the drum corps community. Before we invite "Extra" or "Hollywood Tonight" to comment and report, let's not forget that teaching life cycles also have a limited shelf life. Let's trust the fact that the braintrusts behind every great DCI organization has NEVER been billed like a Rock Star show.

No one has ever heard "on the Starting Line, from Garfield, New Jersey, George Zingali and the Garfield Cadets!"

Trust the individual organizations to know how to move on after a premier staff member retires or moves on. Does anyone really believe that the Bluecoats will forget how to play a horn? ... the Cadets how to play a drum?... or will the Blue Stars need to resort to "Candy Sales" with a new director?

DCP posters simply have too many "slaps" to throw. Most are either uneducated, non-trusting in the great activity in front of us, or have a personal axe to grind to any organization who simply told them that they're not good enough, and failed their audition years ago.

Go ahead! Throw the flames! I dare ALL of the half-wits!

Bye Bye Scott Johnson. Need new blood out there! Maybe he could go to Madison? Cavies? Something, well - different.

PS> I am neither uneducated, non-trusting in the great activity in front of us, or have a personal axe to grind to any organization who simply told them that they're not good enough, and failed their audition years ago.

There is a ton of talent that emerges every year in the teaching front. We, the DCP self-proclaimed experts, seem to doubt every move that takes place in the drum corps community. Before we invite "Extra" or "Hollywood Tonight" to comment and report, let's not forget that teaching life cycles also have a limited shelf life. Let's trust the fact that the braintrusts behind every great DCI organization has NEVER been billed like a Rock Star show.

No one has ever heard "on the Starting Line, from Garfield, New Jersey, George Zingali and the Garfield Cadets!"

Trust the individual organizations to know how to move on after a premier staff member retires or moves on. Does anyone really believe that the Bluecoats will forget how to play a horn? ... the Cadets how to play a drum?... or will the Blue Stars need to resort to "Candy Sales" with a new director?

DCP posters simply have too many "slaps" to throw. Most are either uneducated, non-trusting in the great activity in front of us, or have a personal axe to grind to any organization who simply told them that they're not good enough, and failed their audition years ago.

Go ahead! Throw the flames! I dare ALL of the half-wits!

I guess I gave the wrong impression. I was mostly saying are we going to start seeing new faces that are the "next" generation. This could mean they were already on staff as techs. I don't think anybody suspects anything major to happen, i.e. Cavies/Cadets never win another champion or Vanguard fall out of finals with the new director.

Rather are we going to see people who marched in the last 10 years start to become something. One person who comes to mind is Tim Jackson and Casey Brohart (spell?) from the Blue Devils, I could see these young men emerge as the next Scott Johnson, Tom Float, etc. whenever that may be.

As far as I know Wayne Downey is still Brass arranger/Brass supervisor at BD.