"I Have a Dream"

Forty-five years ago today I watched MLK deliver that speech live on CBS. I had never heard anyone like that in my entire 16 years.

Then I went to corps practice at St. Catherine's. Naive and impressionable, I asked one of the older black members of the hornline what he thought of it all. "He'd make a good corps director" he said, and I thought, "Amen to that".

Edited by ironlips

Forty-five years ago today I watched MLK deliver that speech live on CBS. I had never heard anyone like that in my entire 16 years.

Then I went to corps practice at St. Catherine's. Naive and impressionable, I asked one of the older black members of the hornline what he thought of it all. "He'd make a good corps director" he said, and I thought, "Amen to that".

And tonight we have another strong candidate for corps director telling us why he should lead the nation's corps. MLK would be proud, I think, tonight, but then men such as him often surprise us with their reactions when we presume to undersand how they think. Another failing of ours.

Tonight Ironlips, I hope you hear it again, that call to inspire, that vision for our collective path, and that wisdom in which we can believe.

Enjoy that you are lucky to witness it twice in your lifetime....

Edited by O.P.

Ironlips, all I can think of is the C.M.C.C Warriors. That was back in the 70's when Drietzer had the line. They sounded a lot like Sky (to me at least). If I remember correctly they had one of their own brass players teching the sop line (much like Wayne did in his last year at SCV). I think they used to call him "hamburger lip" or something like that, because when he was done with them the kids could barely talk. Please feel free to make any corrections or ommissions, but I'll bet you remember that. It's too bad that they didn't survive. The fans used to love them.

"I have a dream" drum corps reinvents itself and moves in the direction of it's individuality. Understanding who you are and the unique contribution you can make to the world is immeasurable. Get on board.

And tonight we have another strong candidate for corps director telling us why he should lead the nation's corps. MLK would be proud, I think, tonight, but then men such as him often surprise us with their reactions when we presume to undersand how they think. Another failing of ours.

Tonight Ironlips, I hope you hear it again, that call to inspire, that vision for our collective path, and that wisdom in which we can believe.

Enjoy that you are lucky to witness it twice in your lifetime....

the difference being....45 years ago, that strong candidate for corps director was a republican...

DCP...a learning experience! :rock:

oops..political reference!!!