Auditioning

I want to go to the Boston Crusaders audition camp because I want the staff's critique and I want to know what I can do to make myself better. I need a learning experience like that. The thing is, I know I can not make the commitment because the move-in date happens way before my school year ends and it just will not happen. Is it wrong to go to the camp just to learn to be a better drummer and talk to the staff even if I know that I can not do it?

Hey, if they'll listen to you--go for it! Your audition fees will go towards buying a new oven for the members who will appreciate it.

Now, if you're serious about marching somewhere...pick a corps that will work with your schedule. I would imagine that Jersey Surf would be a little bit better to work with you b/c they aren't a top corps or finalist where Boston basically gets you into finals. There's a premium to that.

And if you're serious about getting better, there's only one thing that I can tell you will work, and I know this from personal experience. It doesn't come from marching a finalist corps. It doesn't come from a staff member harping on you all summer or at an audition camp. It doesn't come from competition or performance.

It comes from the boring hour after hour for weeks and months on end practice...not rehearsal with a director...PRACTICE!!

Practice makes you better. The best teacher in the world can't make you play better unless you make the alone time to PRACTICE what they tell you to practice.

I STRONGLY recommend that you take private lessons. I did, and I practiced for 20 MINUTES a day my sophomore year from August to October AND ALMOST MADE TEXAS ALL STATE ORCHESTRA!! That's saying something. And I wasn't even taking lessons at the time!

Practice!!

But go to camp. It will be a good experience!

Anybody who marched Boston drumline in the past have any advice for me? My friend Mark C. marched Boston snareline this year as a rookout so I'm going to ask him about this stuff too.

Your situation is not uncommon. In fact, at the YEA! Cadets Experience camp, auditioning is optional. They know that some people just go for the experience.

I'm sure any corps, Boston included, would be happy to have you and your money at their camp. :tongue: