Learning Mello, where to start?

OdeToArsenal47

Currently (as you can see from my signature) I play Tenor Sax in my High School band, and I really want to spread my legs a little (and feel a little more important :thumbup:) and pick up a brass instrument. I've played around on a Baritone, but I've always felt drawn towards the Mellophone. My band director has told me that I can check out one of the Mellos or Baritones after marching season, so I think I'm going to try my hand at the Mello. My question is, if I get a mello, where should I start? I talked to a mello player in my band and he says I should start with lip slurs and long tones, and then once I learn to buzz around well I should start looking at scales. Is this good info? What would you recommend? Also, what materials would you recommend?

Thanks for your time.

Set a good embechure (seek guidance), buzz a lot. buzz a lot. Listening to music? BUZZ WITH IT... sirens, buzz, buzz, buzz, buzz. Be a bee. that is so important for new brass players. On the horn, long tones, work up to scales, and once you get a decent sound look for reading music and drilling the fingerings/staff positions/air usage into your head.

Set a good embechure (seek guidance), buzz a lot. buzz a lot. Listening to music? BUZZ WITH IT... sirens, buzz, buzz, buzz, buzz. Be a bee. that is so important for new brass players. On the horn, long tones, work up to scales, and once you get a decent sound look for reading music and drilling the fingerings/staff positions/air usage into your head.

Very good advice, indeed. If you have the chance when you go out, take your mouthpiece with you and buzz whenever you can (just don't do it on a bus or something, it tends to annoy people). When watching TV, buzz. When reading, buzz. When studying (unless it bothers you to), buzz. You can never buzz enough.

Long tones and minor lip slurs (G -> low C -> G -> low C -> G, F# -> low B -> F# -> low B -> F#, etc) are a good way to start. Start using scales when your comfortable range (what you can play without straining or squeezing the horn to your lips, which you should never do) reaches the top of each scale. When you get more comfortable playing, find small tunes to play. A good way to work on fingerings and finger dexterity (which you will need for corps-level playing) is drilling the chromatic scale over and over. Go from the bottom of your range to the top chromatically, then back down, then back up, then back down, as many times as you feel you need.

Air is very important. Make sure you use breathing exercises (in 4, out 4; in 3, out 5; in 2, out 6; in 1, out 7), but don't strain yourself. Try doing such exercises with and without the horn to get a feel for the air resistance (make sure not to breath in through the horn; try keeping all three valves down for even more resistance). If you have the spare cash, get an AirMax Breather. It really does help, when used correctly (just read the instructions).

Main point: push yourself every time you pick up the horn, but don't strain yourself. If you push yourself too far, you could end up damaging something, which will only hinder you.

Good luck with learning mello.

Edited by KingDubya

Are all modern mellophones in F, or can you get them in Bb pitched the same as a trumpet?

My question is, if I get a mello, where should I start?

Start with trumpet. Learn it first. Then move to mello later.

Edited by kalijah

Are all modern mellophones in F, or can you get them in Bb pitched the same as a trumpet?

All in F (or G).

• 2 weeks later...
Currently (as you can see from my signature) I play Tenor Sax in my High School band, and I really want to spread my legs a little (and feel a little more important :worthy:) and pick up a brass instrument. I've played around on a Baritone, but I've always felt drawn towards the Mellophone. My band director has told me that I can check out one of the Mellos or Baritones after marching season, so I think I'm going to try my hand at the Mello. My question is, if I get a mello, where should I start? I talked to a mello player in my band and he says I should start with lip slurs and long tones, and then once I learn to buzz around well I should start looking at scales. Is this good info? What would you recommend? Also, what materials would you recommend?

Thanks for your time.

www.mellocast.com

episode 23 addresses woodwind players taking up the mello.