Pit Mics

ElCajonSalvo

Well, I used to sell mics for a few years, and while the Shure SM57 is a great, durable, dynamic mic....if you're looking for a mic to really weather the times, and you're in that price range, then i'd go with something from Audix. Their mics are made from a better grade metal and have less breakable parts.

However, I'd only suggest one of those mics if you're micing a single drum or "sound". If you're looking to mic your keyboards, you're gonna have to go with a good condenser mic to pic up the full spectrum of sound. If you use an sm57 to mic a keyboard, you're only going to get the sound that is directly in front of the microphone.

The rode nt5's are great, because they're a matched pair of mics, from one of the best mic manufacturers in the business. 1 pair of these setup over a keyboard will give you a good result.

sorry no pics yet, I cant get one that accurately shows the acoustic challenge. I've been experimenting quite a bit. All the players are using hard mallets now. I am still using the sm 57's about 6 inches under the bars. Is that a good placement, or should I go up top?

How many watts should I aim for? How many speakers and what should thier placement be? here is a rough diagram

m=marimba, x=xylophone, v=vibes, t=timps,s=snare, b=bass, c=cymbal, tm=toms

C S S S S Tm Tm B B B B C

12 Ft

T X V M M

Edited by ElCajonSalvo