Empire Statesmen Writer

Many Announcements to come in the next few weeks about the 2009 Version of the Empire Statesmen. Today we welcome a new member to our "writers" for the Drum Corps. Kirk Gay will write for our Front End Ensemble in 2009.

Kirk Gay is currently the Coordinator of Undergraduate Studies and an Instructor of Music at the University of Central Florida. While at UCF, Gay teaches student lessons for the percussion studio, directs "Black Steel," the UCF steel drum ensemble and coordinates the Marching Knights Drumline.

As an active clinician, Mr. Gay has presented many clinics and master classes at universities and high schools in the U.S. and abroad. He has performed clinics at the Florida PAS Day of Percussion and the Percussive Arts Society International Convention. Mr. Gay has also published numerous articles for Percussive Notes magazine, the Texas Bandmasters Association, School Band and Orchestra Magazine, and is the editor of the Florida PAS newsletter.

In 1998, Mr. Gay toured Europe with the New World Symphony under the direction of Michael Tilson Thomas. He has performed with the Walt Disney World Orchestra, The Fort Wayne Philharmonic, The Orlando Philharmonic and currently is the Principal Percussionist with The Brevard Symphony Orchestra.

Mr. Gay marched in Star of Indiana Drum & Bugle Corps from 1986 - 1989 where he was 1989 DCI Timpani Individuals Champion and two time DCM Timpani Individuals Champion. He has taught and written for many drum and bugle corps including The Crossmen, Phantom Regiment, Magic of Orlando and The Yokohama Inspires from Japan. Mr. Gay was head arranger and percussion coordinator with the Phantom Regiment in 1996 when they were DCI Championships. He has also written for many bands across the country including Cypress Creek H.S., Churchill H.S. and Northrop H.S.

Mr. Gay is a Yamaha Performing Artist and a clinician and endorser for Sabian Cymbals and Pro-Mark Sticks & Mallets. He has works published by Tapspace Publications and Pan Press Publications.

Keep an eye on our website at http://www.statesmen.org for more info or to get a membership application!

I would also like to personaly say how excited I am to have Kirk involved with the Statesmen percussion design. I am lucky enough to work with him on other jobs and I can tell you this is a great thing for us as we evolve our programming.

Kirk is a great guy and a wonderful designer!

Welcome Kirk!