College Color Guard class

la mejor

I need some advice from the guard community.

I teach the local university color guard and the director has asked me to teach the marching technique class about aspects of color guard.

So, what are some of the BIGGEST and most basic things a band director should know about color guard?

Your help is greatly appreciated as I will add your thoughts to my own!

Lets ask my band director boyfriend...

He says knowledge about staging the guard properly, how to direct the audience's eye to the right place at the right time, and how to properly transition them in drill. Just an overall basic knowledge about how the guard can add to the overall general effect and musicality of the show, not just having them there spinning because they need to be. He said in his music ed classes, they talked very little about marching band and even less about drill/design/and auxiliary.

Will you be busting out flags and having them spin anything?

Wow, what a great opportunity to bring to light the mysteries of "those flag twirlers"!

I'm not sure i understand the question. Are you teaching the college colorguard members? colorguard instructors?

Unfortunately, many colorguard instructors have no say in staging (or have to go behind the designers back to "fix" problem staging).

If this is for colorguard members, obviously knowing basic and intermediate skill sets in equipment, movement, and performance would be of the utmost importance. If this class is designed for people who want to be instructors, a knowledge of the judging criteria, how to decipher judges comments, how to create and implement a rehearsal block are basic concepts to learn.

After that, then discussions about design (costumes, floor/props, equipment placement, staging), and working on leadership skills and the right and wrong ways to get a guard to work well together and be successful-- not necessarily win, but be successful in achieving realistic goals-- would be important.

No, this is for college music majors. Thanks for the help though!

If it's for music majors, who presumably will become high school band directors, it's important that they understand the importance of a colorguard in their marching band. What is colorguard? What do they contribute? Why should I have a colorguard in my marching program? What about Indoor guard-- waste of money or smart investment? How to hire an effective colorguard instructor.

Teach them some basic fundamentals of colorguard (spinning different pieces of equipment, movement, etc.). How to use colorguard concepts to increase the skill levels of the musicians in the band. Working with the colorguard/visual staff to produce a great show...

Many band directors don't understand these concepts listed, and really should--especially if they are a competitive program. Bring in some guest speakers-- local SUCCESSFUL colorguard instructors and/or band directors who support their colorguard, as well as a few who maybe don't support them to bring in opposing view points.

What about Indoor guard-- waste of money or smart investment? How to hire an effective colorguard instructor.

How to use colorguard concepts to increase the skill levels of the musicians in the band. Working with the colorguard/visual staff to produce a great show...

ATX hit the nail on the head- Band Directors could undo a great deal of stress in their lives if they know WHAT to look for when hiring someone to teach/design/ etc for their guards. I would mention that who they hire will always reflect on them and their programs that they come to lead. Hiring someone on their staff can make or break them, whether its a competitive or show band.

Also, not everyone in music ed knows about DCI or WGI, nor competitive local circuits. If you can, mention them and how they can find more info about it.

Having the future band directors spin some flags can really help them understand how hard it actually is, so maybe they'll appreciate it long term. Just going in there to talk about it is already putting them head and shoulders above others going after the same job.

Good luck!