Penny Lane

Martybucs

Imagine trying to kick that out on a Mellophone? I had a rotary/valve so I could get the speed but had to play it an octave down. One of my favorite warm ups after I warmed up. I was young so I didn't care if I screwed it up - it was just fun.

And this just struck me - was that a 4 valve piccolo trumpet? :innocent:

Puppet

Yes.

Imagine trying to kick that out on a Mellophone? I had a rotary/valve so I could get the speed but had to play it an octave down. One of my favorite warm ups after I warmed up. I was young so I didn't care if I screwed it up - it was just fun.

And this just struck me - was that a 4 valve piccolo trumpet? :innocent:

Puppet

that is a 4 valve piccolo trumpet. the design seems to be Schilke type.

The solo never goes low enough to use the 4th valve, though. You can see the sheet music written out at the end of the video, but that is played up an octave.

• 2 weeks later...
Skip to 1:08 to see how its going to played on the field this year. :whistle:

Personally, I'd rather hear that than listen to someone kack the crap out of it. There's really no nuance to it...it's all about accuracy.

BTW, here's how to make a link that skips to 1:08:

Look how I added "#t=01m08s" to the end of the URL.

http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/...p;answer=116618

Personally, I'd rather hear that than listen to someone kack the crap out of it. There's really no nuance to it...it's all about accuracy.

BTW, here's how to make a link that skips to 1:08:

Look how I added "#t=01m08s" to the end of the URL.

http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/...p;answer=116618

I'd rather hear someone "Kack the crap out of it", than hear it played on a keyboard. At least there'd be some entertainment value in it, at least for other trumpet players. :whistle:

I went to a free BEATLE MANIA conert in the park last year. GOD, they were awful! Guy playing the keyboard did the piccolo trumpet part, but had to slow down to play it.

• 2 weeks later...
The missus and I saw Canadian Brass here in Baltimore a number of years ago, and they played Penny Lane. Their trumpet soloist at the time, Jens Lindemann, absolutely nailed the solo. Great player.

Fran

Somewhat off topic but ....when I marched with Kilties in '99', I usually did the Chicago/Toronto flight thing. One Sunday evening after a particularly hard camp weekend, I was sitting in the in O'Hare waiting for my flight. I always carried my horn with me and it was sitting on the floor beside me. Three guys walked over and asked if I was a musician........I said 'no I'm a drummer!" (sorry folks couldn't resist that one). I didn't recognize them right away, but the speaker turned out to be Jens Lindemann who had only recently joined Can Brass. Only three of them were traveling together that day.

We had a long conversation about drum & bugle corps, Star of Indiana/Cdn Brass and other related stuff. He asked to see my three valve G horn and then pulled out this little gold plated piccolo trumpet for me to examine. Must have been the same one he used for Penny Lane. It was quite a thrill to meet these guys as I had seen them in concert a couple of times. Lens then gave me an open invitation to visit them backstage at any future concert.........I never did get around to doing that and I suppose the statute of limitations has run out........but really nice guys and treated me just like a real musician and friend.